PDA

View Full Version : so is the 6th gear really worth it?

markus
02-17-2007, 12:57 PM
im talking about 5 and 6 speed trannies for the M60. Im wonderng if the 6th gear is really worth the extra money and hassle to find it?

Jehu
02-17-2007, 01:41 PM
Well i have had nearly nine months with the six speed and can say sixth gear provides a substantial increase in high speed power over fifth.What its doing by the numbers i haven't read but when I'm driving in fifth at 80 mph with plenty of open road ahead and i shift into sixth and floor it the car feels like it has a virtually limitless supply of power to deliver whereas in fifth i can hear the engine working harder and there is a sense of its top limit. At 115 MPH in sixth gear it simply feels like you could keep accelerating with abundant power.Road conditions such as traffic have prevented me from getting over that speed which i hit yesterday but knowing that the 6th gear gives me that relatively rare ability I'd feel deprived if i had to do without it. It is not by any means superfluous in my opinion.

Macv
02-17-2007, 01:43 PM
Well i have had nearly nine months with the six speed and can say sixth gear provides a substantial increase in high speed power over fifth.What its doing by the numbers i haven't read but when I'm driving in fifth at 80 mph with plenty of open road ahead and i shift into sixth and floor it the car feels like it has a virtually limitless supply of power to deliver whereas in fifth i can hear the engine working harder and there is a sense of its top limit. At 115 MPH in sixth gear it simply feels like you could keep accelerating with abundant power.Road conditions such as traffic have prevented me from getting over that speed which i hit yesterday but Knowing that the 6th gear gives me that relatively rare ability I'd feel deprived if i had to do without it. It is not by any means superfluous in my opinion.

You know you don't like it. Lets trade cars.

I drove one once, It makes the 540 autos feel like they've got 100 less hp.

Boone.Msi
02-17-2007, 01:44 PM
Im guessing you have the stock 2.8* gears? I wonder how 6th would act with 3.15's...

Kalevera
02-17-2007, 01:49 PM
I'm nearly certain that I'll have a 6 speed trans available for sale in the next week or so, if you're looking. Have to see if it's going into another car first.

Jehu
02-17-2007, 01:57 PM
I have to assume the diff is stock.I asked once about adding an LSD and i think 3:15 was the suggested replacement but if i remember correctly there was mention of some slight loss of power in the highest range of top gear but substantial gains in lower ranges.I had wondered if swapping the diff would allow me to accelerate for passing ,for instance, from sixth gear at around 50 MPH which as it is now doesn't work too well. As an example, if i was in sixth and doing 80 and was forced to slow to 50 if i then wanted to speed up to pass the response while still in sixth was very sluggish and i am forced to downshift and by that time ,into fourth in order to accelerate.If the 3:15 would enable me to remain in sixth and just get up and go and the power loss would only occur well above even the highest speed I'm likely to drive it might be an option if it also of course allowed faster acceleration thru the lower gears and better gas mileage .I have other priorities though such as new shocks all around before i give this any kind of serious consideration.

Boone.Msi
02-17-2007, 02:18 PM
I agree with your logic, with my 3.15's and Auto ive taken it past 135 with ease, but have no need for 120+ so im about to look into 3.64's(tonight:D )