PDA

View Full Version : Travel in Canada

Barney Paull-Edwards
02-17-2007, 07:19 AM
Greetings all,
Am travelling from Montreal/Toronto to Vancouver at end March in my U.K.plate 525TDS.Bruno has advised as regards average speeds but do I need winter tyres? How tolerant are Mounties on Europe speeds? The reason for doing all the trip in Canada is the Customs buggerance factor as will have a boot full of Racing King spares and a non-biometric Passport! Any advice on places to stay/avoid welcome.Car has to go back but AP 4 pots,260hp non-electronic diesel and 6 speed box do not, as long as it goes into the container, fine!

Montreal525
02-17-2007, 11:33 AM
How tolerant are Mounties on Europe speeds? Quebec and Ontario have provincial police, all the rest of Canada is patrolled by the Mounties and NONE of them are tolerant on Europe speed so be advised...

but do I need winter tyres? Come the end of March, you should be fine with all-season tires... I would also advise you fill up often when you see a service-station with diesel fuel as it is not available everywhere and sometimes, you can look around a for a while before finding some...

Any advice on places to stay/avoid welcome.? If you come to Montreal, you must see the nightlife, especially our, shall we say, local hospitality establishements where local hostesses will make you discover some of the local flavors... to put it mildly.. :D Oh, and also, while in Quebec, you must go to a local restaurant and try a "poutine"... Your heart and your arteries will thank you...;) Happy trails...

Jeff

repenttokyo
02-17-2007, 11:40 AM
If you choose to drive on winter tires, i would stay very aware of the weather forecasts, because at the end of march things can change quite fast and your could find yourself in a small blizzard with unsafe tires. Just be careful.

Personally, i wouldn't drive faster than 120 km/h on average.

Barney Paull-Edwards
02-17-2007, 12:19 PM
Quebec and Ontario have provincial police, all the rest of Canada is patrolled by the Mounties and NONE of them are tolerant on Europe speed so be advised...

Come the end of March, you should be fine with all-season tires... I would also advise you fill up often when you see a service-station with diesel fuel as it is not available everywhere and sometimes, you can look around a for a while before finding some...

If you come to Montreal, you must see the nightlife, especially our, shall we say, local hospitality establishements where local hostesses will make you discover some of the local flavors... to put it mildly.. :D Oh, and also, while in Quebec, you must go to a local restaurant and try a "poutine"... Your heart and your arteries will thank you...;) Happy trails...

Jeff
Thanks for info so far,had not reckoned on fuel factor,at 725 a tank,it has never been a problem before,even in russia! Is it all high Sulphur Diesel?Whilst they are not tolerant,is it expensive? I take it that knowledge of french is an asset? As a Rum drinking man i suppose i had better bring my own supplies?!

Dave M
02-17-2007, 12:48 PM
Thanks for info so far,had not reckoned on fuel factor,at 725 a tank,it has never been a problem before,even in russia! Is it all high Sulphur Diesel?Whilst they are not tolerant,is it expensive? I take it that knowledge of french is an asset? As a Rum drinking man i suppose i had better bring my own supplies?!

Yes, party in Montreal.

Yes, french will be an asset.

The speeding 'menu' varies from province to province, but 120 kph in a 100 kmh zone will net you an approximately $100-$150 fine. Fines increase exponentially and they take teir sweet time handing out the ticket so the minivan you past an hour ago will be laughing when they drive by :D

I get ~1000km/tank and still find ways to coast into gas stations. Not every dot on the map has gas, especially in the praries. A town is just a grain elevator and three chickens.

No, you'll find plenty of rum on the road.

Travel route tips:

Take HW 17 along the lake superior shore, not HW 11 through Timmons. Much nicer drive, one of the best in the country. Toronto to Thunder Bay -15 hours @ 100kph.

Little choice through the praries. Thunder Bay to Winnipeg - 7 hours

Winnipeg - Regina - 7 more boring hours (sleep at 'Barneys' in Branbon Man if it works out. They pay 10 cents for every fly you kill and bring to the front desk, really).

Regina - Calgary - 8 hours. Again, extremely boring. Bring music. Good music. Or a woman.

Calgary to Kamloops - 8 hours. Now it gets fun. Stop in Banff, do the tourist stuff, try not to pay for it ;). Great driving around Golden and revelstoke. Go for a drive up to the dam, or Mt. Revelstoke National Park outside of Revelstoke for some twisties, just watch for the signs or ask someone. Stop at Three Valley Gap and the Enchanted Forest to see some Cheesy Canadiana and huge western red cedar trees. Lalalalalala.........., eventually you get to Kamloops.

Kamloops to Vancouver via HW 1 (the old HW, recommended, more scenic) - 4- 5 hours depending on weather and traffic. It can get busy.

Have a good drive. Did I mention the praries are boring?

Dave

DaveVoorhis
02-17-2007, 02:31 PM
Winnipeg - Regina - 7 more boring hours (sleep at 'Barneys' in Branbon Man if it works out. They pay 10 cents for every fly you kill and bring to the front desk, really).
Amazing. I lived in Brandon for thirty years, know Barneys well, and never heard of this. If I'd known about it, I'd never have moved to England.

SharkmanBMW
02-17-2007, 04:37 PM
Yes, party in Montreal.

Yes, french will be an asset.

The speeding 'menu' varies from province to province, but 120 kph in a 100 kmh zone will net you an approximately $100-$150 fine. Fines increase exponentially and they take teir sweet time handing out the ticket so the minivan you past an hour ago will be laughing when they drive by :D

I get ~1000km/tank and still find ways to coast into gas stations. Not every dot on the map has gas, especially in the praries. A town is just a grain elevator and three chickens.

No, you'll find plenty of rum on the road.

Travel route tips:

Take HW 17 along the lake superior shore, not HW 11 through Timmons. Much nicer drive, one of the best in the country. Toronto to Thunder Bay -15 hours @ 100kph.

Little choice through the praries. Thunder Bay to Winnipeg - 7 hours

Regina - Calgary - 8 hours. Again, extremely boring. Bring music. Good music. Or a woman.

Calgary to Kamloops - 8 hours. Now it gets fun. Stop in Banff, do the tourist stuff, try not to pay for it ;). Great driving around Golden and revelstoke. Go for a drive up to the dam, or Mt. Revelstoke National Park outside of Revelstoke for some twisties, just watch for the signs or ask someone. Stop at Three Valley Gap and the Enchanted Forest to see some Cheesy Canadiana and huge western red cedar trees. Lalalalalala.........., eventually you get to Kamloops.

Kamloops to Vancouver via HW 1 (the old HW, recommended, more scenic) - 4- 5 hours depending on weather and traffic. It can get busy.

Have a good drive. Did I mention the praries are boring?

Dave

Excellent write up Dave... makes me feel like a road trip!
You might want to invest in a radar detector for your trip...
illegal yes, but may make it safe to travel at Euro speeds!

Be sure to have that "Poutine" in Quebec, I am not sure than anyone outside the province truly makes a decent one! Personally, Lafleurs is the best by far!

Barney Paull-Edwards
02-17-2007, 08:04 PM
If you choose to drive on winter tires, i would stay very aware of the weather forecasts, because at the end of march things can change quite fast and your could find yourself in a small blizzard with unsafe tires. Just be careful.

Personally, i wouldn't drive faster than 120 km/h on average.
More than good so far! did I mention autobahn`s are boring? now budgeting for Mounty tariff.With a name like mine where else am I staying, with a shotgun? Company welcome for trip,36D minimum and a pulse.My only experience of area is Suffield Training Area a long time ago and wearing uniform was not a good idea then.Keep advice coming,Ring tickets available for brave as well as accomodation.

Dash01
02-17-2007, 08:18 PM
There are fewer cops and less traffic in western Canada in my experience, and apparently less tendency fo them to have speed traps. I suspect that the Mounties are less of a money-maker for the local government there than in the US.

I've safely driven at the speed limit + 10% all over the continent without being stopped. Faster than that, you get tickets and burn significantly more fuel, so give back whatever time gain you may have from higher speed. This is not autobahn speed, but then the autobahn no longer is, either.

Try and plan some time in the Rockies from Calgary to Vancouver. The side roads are good, beautiful, and very lightly traveled. And, going straight past Banff without going up to Jasper and back on the parkway is criminal. This is among the most beautiful drives in the world, and if you come this far and ignore that, you're really missing a major opportunity.

repenttokyo
02-18-2007, 01:14 AM

Be sure to have that "Poutine" in Quebec, I am not sure than anyone outside the province truly makes a decent one! Personally, Lafleurs is the best by far!

don't get a radar detector, 500 dollar fine in quebec and they seize the detector. Also, not all that useful in this province as laser is prevalent.

Renman
02-18-2007, 01:54 AM
You can pick-up the speed as you pass about a g-zilliion Tim Horton donut shops between Quebec and Alberta. The fuzz is typically shoving donuts down or sleeping off the buzz. Cool scenery and great places to get out and get air but the drive is mostly straight. You'll be praying for an s-turn. Faster to go U.S. interstate for sure. Enjoy!

Montreal525
02-18-2007, 11:51 AM
I just had a thought... Are you planning on moving to Canada? If not, getting a ticket shouldn't be one of your worries... Even if the law allows the cops to detain you for a ticket because you are a foreigner, much like they do it in the U.S., they rarely do it here in Canada.

Just tell them you are moving here in Canada and note the addresses of a few Tim Horton's in different cities and give one out as your new address. As long as the cops buy the fact you have an address here, they probably won't detain you... That way, you leave with a couple of souvenirs and you can frame all those tickets when you go back...

It's also been my experience that cops won't bother with a foreign licence because it is a real PITA to check out and follow thru... They'll probably let you go when they see the U.K. licence. Just stay on the reasonnable side of things and you should be o.k....

Jeff

Johntee540
02-18-2007, 01:01 PM

Poutine is the most disgusting thing - it's literally a heart attack in a cup! It has forever ruined Cheese Curd for me! - JT

Montreal525
02-18-2007, 03:26 PM
Poutine is the most disgusting thing - it's literally a heart attack in a cup! It has forever ruined Cheese Curd for me! - JT

Where did you taste one? Nothing beats that after a night on the town... :D If your heart can take it that is....

Jeff

repenttokyo
02-18-2007, 03:31 PM
Montreal525 - I ripped an exhaust mount drifting in deep snow wednesday night - how have you been handling the snow we got?

Dash01
02-18-2007, 03:33 PM
Oh, and another thing you'll want to be sure about before speeding in Canada:

I've heard that going something like ~30km over the speed limit is considered a crime in Canada, making it much more than a simple civil infraction.

Can any Canadian friends confirm or deny this?

And, in the mountains when traffic signs warn of sudden storms, take it to heart: A friend started down the long northbound Coquihala hill toward Merritt, BC in decent weather. Suddenly found himself in whiteout conditions, and just as suddenly sliding upside down in his Porsche. When he crawled out of the wreck, he escaped death by inches from other vehicles sliding past.

Montreal525
02-18-2007, 04:02 PM
Montreal525 - I ripped an exhaust mount drifting in deep snow wednesday night - how have you been handling the snow we got?

No problems so far... I don't play around in the snow as much as I used to... People made a big deal of the snowstorm last wednesday but between you and me, it's only because it's the first one this year... We've seen far worse before...

Jeff

Montreal525
02-18-2007, 04:10 PM
Oh, and another thing you'll want to be sure about before speeding in Canada:

I've heard that going something like ~30km over the speed limit is considered a crime in Canada, making it much more than a simple civil infraction.

Can any Canadian friends confirm or deny this?

Myth, at least here in Quebec... before you upgrade to reckless driving, you have to go way higher, at least 180kph, in a 100kph zone... Less if weather conditions are lousy... But even 30 over in a snowstorm would be a stretch... It also depends where you are... 30 over in a school zone could also be enough to land you a reckless driving charges...

Jeff

repenttokyo
02-18-2007, 05:26 PM
No problems so far... I don't play around in the snow as much as I used to... People made a big deal of the snowstorm last wednesday but between you and me, it's only because it's the first one this year... We've seen far worse before...

Jeff

my parents had far worst in the eastern townships - 60 cm that day.

Barney Paull-Edwards
02-18-2007, 05:48 PM
No,not planning to move to anywhere,have free container to Canada and back six weeks later,hence trip.Tim horton(Whoever!?)good tip,Detector is hard wired into car and comes over radio,option on Jags and copied by friend,what looks like proximity sensors on bumper,aint.If you think 60cm of snow is big,Service trucks on Rally norway had to chain themselves together to get through! As a result of posts am modifying trip to spend more time in Montreal,despite the fact that we have french jokes like you have Newfie jokes.thanks for all help, will post when on way to pay back posters,any UK orders can go in container if delivered by 22.03.07.

repenttokyo
02-18-2007, 05:56 PM
I don't think 60 cm of snow is particularly big but it certainly is inconvenient

they had 7.5 feet of snow just south of us last week. That's pretty big.

Regarding your hard-wired radar detector - If it has any way to turn it off, do it. Because if they detect that you are using it, and you tell them it is hard wired into the car, or act like you don't know what they are talking about, they can and will impound your car, and disassemble it until they find your detector.

Barney Paull-Edwards
02-18-2007, 06:16 PM
I don't think 60 cm of snow is particularly big but it certainly is inconvenient

they had 7.5 feet of snow just south of us last week. That's pretty big.

Regarding your hard-wired radar detector - If it has any way to turn it off, do it. Because if they detect that you are using it, and you tell them it is hard wired into the car, or act like you don't know what they are talking about, they can and will impound your car, and disassemble it until they find your detector.
Did not know they had the ability to detect one,could plead english and stupid,comes naturally.Comment on snow was from friend over there(Norway) who lost his White E34 M5 this morning,thought my suggestion of putting kerchief on Radio daft,going to have cold trip home as he put shovel through back window!

repenttokyo
02-19-2007, 12:41 PM
lol kerchief would have been a good idea!

SharkmanBMW
02-19-2007, 03:02 PM
don't get a radar detector, 500 dollar fine in quebec and they seize the detector. Also, not all that useful in this province as laser is prevalent.

get the right one, and be careful!
I have used them safely here, and eventually did get caught by the SQ and they had me destroy it by driving over it 3 times, then they gave it back to me!

That was a few years ago... maybe they are tougher now.

But the new detectors can get around laser...

repenttokyo
02-19-2007, 03:51 PM
how exactly would it protect you against instant on radar and laser? This is what most SQ use nowadays...

Barney Paull-Edwards
02-20-2007, 10:09 AM
Sq?

Montreal525
02-20-2007, 10:29 AM
Sq?

SQ... Sureté du Québec... Quebec Provincial police, which patrols all the highways in Quebec, just like the OPP, Ontario Provincial police does in Ontario.

Not much you can do about the laser speed traps. The laser guns are too quick. Any device you use works on the priciple that someone in front of you will be zapped and you detect residual photons or some gimmick like that before you get zapped, but the newer laser give out such a focused beam and fewer emissions that having a radar detector is pointless. And nobody uses the device that detects radar detectors anymore, no more point to it (even though that was what got me caught in '93 with my radar detector :( ...) I wouldn't rely on a radar detector nowadays, it's much more of a game of cat and mouse...

Jeff