PDA

View Full Version : is the a/c clutch a replaceable part?

ryan roopnarine
02-16-2007, 10:14 PM
..my a/c compressor is making quite a cacophony at idle (with a/c off). i first assumed that the "rattling" coming from it was it dying, but since i've noted that this happens with the ac disengaged, i'm going to assume that it may possily be a case of leaked out oil+ bad clutch. i recall don gale mentioning something about shaving his clutch down, so i suspect that this part isn't available....thanks.

Blitzkrieg Bob
02-17-2007, 01:17 AM
there's a couple of pullers that will help, but you can replace the clutch assembly without discharging the A/C

gale
02-17-2007, 10:21 AM
Could be the bearing is loose or dry. With the Seiko-Seiki compressor, it's pretty easy to get to. Just about any bearing house would be able to match it up with a new bearing. Don't know about other brands. Back when I did mine, a new clutch was in excess of $275, so if your old clutch is shot & have to spend that much, just get an entire new or rebuilt compressor assembly which should come with a new clutch.

Kalevera
02-17-2007, 01:27 PM
Don, do you have a good source for the rebuild seiko compressors?

Everyone rebuilds the bosch and densos, but I can't seem to find a good source for the seikos, and the rebuild kit sold by the dealer contains the wrong parts for the E32/E34 version of that compressor.

In terms of the topic: I know the clutch is replaceable on the seiko and bosch compressors, but don't know about the denso unit.

gale
02-17-2007, 03:14 PM
Don, do you have a good source for the rebuild seiko compressors?

Try Hancock in Texas. They were one of the most comprehensive sources the last time I checked a few summers ago:

http://www.hancockindustries.com

winfred
02-17-2007, 08:39 PM
the tension shock can make one hell of a noise on a m50 ac when it's bad, the bearing can be pressed out and replaced if you can source a aftermarket bearing which isn't that hard, new clutch assy about matches the price of a reman compressor then your old ass compressor can **** and the new clutch is then useless, the later nippondenso clutch plates are easy to pull, take the 10mm headed bolt and screw in a 13mm headed bolt this will press the clutch plate off exposing the snap ring that holds the pulley, you will need a good 2/3 jaw puller and a light touch to not damage the pulley (or the end of the compressor shaft, screw the 10mm back in to protect it)