PDA

View Full Version : IN THE DARK , electrical prob.'90 525i

COT1
02-16-2007, 06:41 PM
Last night on the way home my low beams went out, no prob. I thought just switch to hi beam,Didn't work, things got worse, panel lights went out, radio started going on and off, and engine power got week. There I was crusing down the Hwy in the dark radio going on and off ,power to eng was getting worse.
I reached to the light switch cut it off ,eng power came back to normal, cut it back on and all was fine . The hi & low beam worked ,the panel lights were on,the radio worked right.
Now I 'm realy in the dark,I can turne a wrench, I do all my work on my 5er, I've re-sodered my LKM unit.
Has anyone had a problem simular to this, anyone got any sugestions???????????? I need some help.
Thanks,
Cot1

Dave M
02-16-2007, 07:30 PM
So you don't leave the first page.........

Lectricity is my weak point, but I ain't not got sperience with the fusible link, or lack thereof. My symptoms were a bit different, but the cars went a bit 'cookoo'. Pry open the plastic case and see if its broken/cracked etc. Mine had a hairline crack under on of the bolts. Cheap to check and cheap to fix.

here is where is sits on my 91 (M50) 525.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/dave_macisaac/fusiblelinklocation.jpg
Good luck as always,

Dave

e39dream
02-16-2007, 10:49 PM
symptoms described kind of sound like a bad alternator- I hope that's not the case.

Dave M
02-17-2007, 02:46 AM
symptoms described kind of sound like a bad alternator- I hope that's not the case.

If you have a DMM, test the batt. The symptoms you're describing would indicate an ailing batt. due to an ill functioning charging system (alt.). Will it start in the morning??

Dave

COT1
02-20-2007, 09:46 PM
THANKS FOR THE HELP,,,, Checked the bat. with load tester and it showed charging , didn't believe it , so I puled the Alt. Took it to the local Auto parts str. and put it on their alt. ck. machine. It was charging , or working but only charging up to about 9 V. SOOOO it was BAD. It was 115A, Found 140A on flee-bay, ordered tonight. Thanks Again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!

shogun
02-20-2007, 10:00 PM
Weak battery does not matter in this case, as the car was running and the alternator produces enough power.
Could have been 3 reasons:
fusible link, alternator, or a main ground cable was broken.