PDA

View Full Version : Differential fluid for 94 530ia

E34 530
02-16-2007, 12:29 PM
Searched and everything seemed to be for a 535 with lsd. What fluid is correct and where could I get it? Also, does anyone know what diff. I have?
Thanks for any help, Andrew

632 Regal
02-16-2007, 03:33 PM
I believe the LSD units take 85w-140 synthetic fluid. I eventually had to add that slippery additive to stop the chatter on tursns...it was so tight I thought I was going to bust the rear CV joints.

Searched and everything seemed to be for a 535 with lsd. What fluid is correct and where could I get it? Also, does anyone know what diff. I have?
Thanks for any help, Andrew

E34 530
02-17-2007, 08:47 AM
Thanks Jeff, but what did you originally use before you had to add the slippery additive?

E34 530
02-17-2007, 09:08 AM
Hmmm, just looked through the Bentley again and it states open diff's should use BMW SAF-XO Synthetic oil. Sound correct?

John B.
02-17-2007, 09:17 AM
I run the special BMW synth in my 535i w/lsd but in a non lsd rear drive any good synth gear lube should work well. When I change the output seals in our Touring I will be refilling with Mobil1.

E34 530
02-17-2007, 10:28 AM
What do you think of Royal Purple?

gale
02-17-2007, 10:55 AM
Royal Purple is ok but there are other brands that are better and less expensive. You should be ok with any brand synthetic as long as it meets the GL-5 spec.

E34 530
02-17-2007, 11:07 AM
Royal Purple is ok but there are other brands that are better and less expensive. You should be ok with any brand synthetic as long as it meets the GL-5 spec.

Sorry man, what is the GL-5 spec and how would I know when I go to buy the fluid? Sorry for the extreme newbness.

Oh and what are some better brands that you would reccomend?

gale
02-17-2007, 11:23 AM
GL-5 is an API (American Petroleum Institute) spec for gear oils meeting the criteria for hypoid gears (most present day differential ring & pinion designs, including BMW). You should be able to see a "GL-5" marking on the cap or label of the jug. Don't buy anything that isn't labeled GL-5. A fluid with a GL-5 rating is the right stuff for your diff, but they are available either as synthetic or non-synthetic. I would definitely put synthetic in it and I think that is the only type "blessed" by BMW. Available brands that come to mind are Redline, Mobil 1, Amsoil, Royal Purple, & perhaps a few others. Mobil 1 is the most readily available off the shelf. Redline is stocked by many engine machine shops & aftermarket speed & custom shops. Redline & Royal Purple tend to be more expensive. Mobil 1 is probably the easiest to find & is usually the least expensive. Amsoil keeps raising their prices. They cheapest they have is $8.15 per quart for 80W90. It takes about 1.5 to 1.75 quarts to drain & fill a diff.

E34 530
02-17-2007, 11:25 AM
GL-5 is an API (American Petroleum Institute) spec for gear oils meeting the criteria for hypoid gears (most present day differential ring & pinion designs, including BMW). A fluid with a GL-5 rating will be adequate for your diff, but they are available either as synthetic or non-synthetic. I would definitely put synthetic in it and I think that is the only type "blessed" by BMW. Available brands that come to mind are Redline, Mobil 1, Amsoil, Royal Purple, & perhaps a few others. Mobil 1 is the most readily available off the shelf. Redline is stocked by many engine machine shops & aftermarket speed & custom shops. Redline & Royal Purple tend to be more expensive. Mobil 1 is probably the easiest to find & is usually the least expensive. Amsoil keeps raising their prices. They cheapest they have is $8.15 per quart for 80W90. It takes about 1.5 to 1.75 quarts to drain & fill a diff.

Thanks for the explanation. What brand would you personally use/reccomend?

gale
02-17-2007, 11:30 AM
What brand would you personally use/reccomend?

I use Amsoil, partly because I'm a dealer & can get it for a substantial discount and there's a major distributer just down the street from me, but mostly because it's the best -- let the flames begin :p

E34 530
02-17-2007, 11:42 AM
I use Amsoil, partly because I'm a dealer & can get it for a substantial discount and there's a major distributer just down the street from me, but mostly because it's the best -- let the flames begin :p

lol, could Amsoil be had anywhere? (Autozone)

gale
02-17-2007, 12:23 PM
lol, could Amsoil be had anywhere? (Autozone)

Sometimes you can find Amsoil where you least suspect it. I've even seen it at back woods Mom & Pop convenience store/gas stations. Here's a dealer locator, just enter your zipcode and distance:

http://www.amsoil.com/dealerlocatorresults/DealerLocator.aspx

John B.
02-17-2007, 12:56 PM

It's always rated number one when Amsoil commissions the study.:)
Mobil 1 usually comes in second in those but the difference is negligible. Any of the modern synth GL-5 gear lubes are going to work fine so just buy the one that's sold locally. Advanced Auto carrys the Mobli 1 around here.

KenB
02-17-2007, 03:26 PM
I just bought Mobil1 for mine at Autozone last week, last time I did it I used Royal Purple that I also got at the Autozoned...they didn't have it this time and Mobil1 was cheaper. Both are rated GL-5 and is somewhere on the bottle label. Mobil1 was $8.99 a quart, you need 2 - 1.8qt. fills it.

I have a 3.23 LSD I just purchased from Bret (Rigmaster) to replace my original, whining one (same ratio). Even though I maintained it as best I could by changing the oil every 2 years, it still went south. Was very hard to turn by hand when it came out and sounded like it was full of marbles.

Glad I got it changed as I am now commuting to Atlantic City everyday, 130 miles round trip! I had an option of getting a 3.64 LSD but decided to stay with the original, I'm already turning 3500RPM @ 80mph...which i set the cruise control at on the AC Xpressway...when it's not snowing, sleeting, freezing rain or other nasty crap coming out of the sky!:p

Woohoo! Post #500!!!:D

E34 530
11-17-2007, 01:53 PM
Alright, I couldn't find amsoil for the the life of me. Anyone got any more suggestions, really need to do this in a few days.