PDA

View Full Version : Trans Program Help!!!

av8r
02-16-2007, 10:24 AM
Well i got the dreaded trans progam error after letting the car sit for a few days pending the relacement screen coming for my fule pump. A few things i have already checked.
1. Battery Voltage. First thing this am 11.9v going to 9v when cranking. After starting it went from 7v to 12v then settled in at 14.5v. This was measured at the battery with a fluke digital multi meter.
2. It appears that the fule pump relay is functioning as the pump is running ok.

I am curious about the some of the other items and their correlation to the Trans Program Error.
If someone could explain the interaction it would be a great help in me diagnosing the problem and not spending alot of time wasting money.

1. DME Relay
2. Fuel Pump.
3. Shifter Switch Assembly.
4. Fuel Pump Relay
5. TPS

Thanks in advance.
Chris
95 530I M60, 1975 Cessna 172M

neil_004
02-16-2007, 11:54 AM
Have you had the battery load tested?

Does your gear position indicator on the dash work properly without glitches? If so the switch is probably ok.

TPS can cause trans prog error. Are you getting a check engine light?
I dont think the DME or Fuel pump relays can cause the error.

kenehresman
02-16-2007, 12:31 PM
Chris, you can download the complete electrical circuit schematics from a link on this site...

http://www.e38.org/e32/

This breaks down most all the circuits and how they interact. It was CRITICAL for me to have this to fix my issue....

av8r
02-16-2007, 01:03 PM
thanks for the reply. I definately think it is something electrical. I took the selector switch out and cleaned it and also cleaned the A/M switch. the display is very faint. You can barely see the selector location. One thing i did notice is that it will not switch from sport mode to auto mode. It is stuck in sprt mode. Another thing is that if i really squint at the display and it says barely lit it will not throw the error. If i start it and then the display goes blank it gives me the error. I think i need to figure out the following.
1. why the display isnt viewable.
2. why is will not shift out ouf sport mode.
If anyone can give me some direction i would appreicate it.
Thanks to all.
Chris
95530IM60, 75 c-172M

neil_004
02-16-2007, 01:33 PM
my car got to the point were it would almost always display sport mode. EP, SR SD so on. Turned out my trans switch reverse light had burnt out. I repaired it with some epoxy and a lot of time and it has been good since.
I wasnt getting a trans prog mssg though.

The dim display just needs new bulbs. There are plenty of posts about replacing them.

av8r
02-16-2007, 01:54 PM
Another thing i noticed is that the gear shift solenoid is intermittant. It only moves sometimes when i depress the brake.
This just keeps getting better.
Damn.
Chris
95 530I m60 , 75 C-172M

av8r
02-16-2007, 03:03 PM
If i start the car in nuetral the solenoid is actuated and deactivated when i press the brake. I also do not get a trans program error. If i start it in Park i get the error. When I put the car in Park the solenoid does not engage. I have taken off the selector switch and when i move the switch to different locations i can hear what sounds like relays clicking from behind the display. But the display is almost non readable however i can make out the display changing when i move the selector by hand.
I tried to take it for a spin and it will not shift out of first gear.
Maybe a trans control power issue?

av8r
02-17-2007, 09:22 AM
UPDATE!
Reseated the connector on the module and it is better. Not getting the trans program error. However i can see that it is stuck in Sport mode.
I believe its electrical at this point and shoulf just be a loose connextion. I will update throught the day. Should be easy as i now have the complete wiring diagrams for the car.
Chris
95 530I m60. 1975 C-172M