PDA

View Full Version : e28 dash is starting to crack

rob101
02-15-2007, 10:55 PM
Just noticed today that the dash on my e28 is starting to crack from the defroster vents on the driver's side. Any way short of replacing the dash to stop/slow the cracking down.
:(

MTechnik540i
02-15-2007, 11:05 PM
Just noticed today that the dash on my e28 is starting to crack from the defroster vents on the driver's side. Any way short of replacing the dash to stop/slow the cracking down.

Not really.

Fred/Houston
02-16-2007, 11:34 AM
There's nothing you can do once it begins to crack.You could put a drop of superglue to slow it down,but you need a new dash or a dash overlay.
Dashboard price at Bmw just went from $492 to $1200 overnight. Apparently there was a price error and Bmw's been losing money on those dashboards for 20 years.
You can find one on German ebay for around $100 but expect to pay a few hundred in shipping,but it still beats spending $1200.
You can get a dash overlay for $89 at Bavarianauto.
Hth's
Fred/Houston

Phatty5BMW
02-16-2007, 12:25 PM
I have an e28 dash laying around. I was going to install it because mine was cracked but havent gotten around to it. It has no cracks but does have 2 screw holes where someone mounted a cupholder or cell holder.

Ross
02-16-2007, 01:08 PM
If you have room try drilling a tiny hole carefully at the end of the crack to head it off. Then a little caulk to fill it.