PDA

View Full Version : Correct level for engine oil?

Rick L
04-29-2004, 12:42 PM
I checked my engine oil and the oil level line on the dipstick is passed the two lines and is at "0" on the numbers that's just above the max line. Is this correct? Could the BMW dealer over fill my car with oil? I just picked up my car from the BMW dealer and they added almost two quarts because they said it was low. I'm almost positive that I had the correct amount in there before I brought my car in. Can somebody tell me the right level on the dipstick? Note: I checked the oil level with engine cold... I can't believe the BMW tech could make that kind of a mistake?.?.? Or am I not reading the dipstick wrong?.?.?

632 Regal
04-29-2004, 01:50 PM
your reading it right, let the car run for a minute and shut it off, wait a minute and then check it. Sounds like you are a bit ofer filled tho. BMW techs arent geniusses there people and there a lot worse horror stories about them. Thats why this board is here, a lot of people here refuse to take their cars to the dealers and work on them theirselves or use an indy for service.

Rick L
04-29-2004, 02:52 PM
I brought my car back to the dealer and the BMW service manager checked the oil and the oil level was two quarts over! I CANNOT believe a BMW tech could make that kind of a mistake... They apologized for the mistake and took care of me. They gave me a loaner car and an oil change even though I changed the oil not too long ago. Anyway, thanks for the information and I knew I wasn’t seeing thing.

Rick L
04-30-2004, 07:08 PM
I cannot believe this! I just pickup the car and checked the oil level again. Do you believe the BMW dealer over filled the engine oil again? Again by two quarts! How difficult is it to change the oil? I just cannot believe they could over fill my car again after I brought it back because of the same issue! I called another BMW dealer and the service manager told me that the tech probably check the dipstick wrong. He said that you suppose to check the dipstick seated all the way down and pull to check the oil level. Duhhh… I’m not a tech but even I know that. There is a seal on the top of the dipstick and if you stick the dipstick down until it reaches the top of the seal instead of going completely down (completely seated) than you would get a wrong measurement. I tried that and to my surprise the oil level is perfectly correct! That means the BMW tech was measuring the level wrong! This is absolutely amazing that the BMW technician doesn’t know how to check the oil level! They did another oil change (for the 3rd time) while I observe to make sure it was done correctly this time. What a nightmare!