PDA

View Full Version : OT: Class action about oil sludge

rob101
02-15-2007, 04:37 PM
Some of you may have seen this already but i thought it might be relevant considering the recent discussions about oil sludge.

http://www.drive.com.au/Editorial/ArticleDetail.aspx?ArticleID=30943&vf=7

swenpro
02-15-2007, 04:44 PM
hooray, a taint on the reputation of the toyota monster

DanDombrowski
02-15-2007, 05:02 PM
I'm not sure if this is old news, or old news being reported as new news.

An excerpt from the article:

The settlement covers the vehicles for eight years and unlimited mileage from the time they were new. The automaker says it will cover repairs if the owner can prove a ‘‘reasonable’’ attempt to maintain the vehicle, which Toyota describes as one oil change a year.

Toyota has had this policy for at least the last 2 or 3 years regarding sludged engines. My GFs camry had a new engine installed before she bought it due to this. AFAIK, Toyota has never admitted any wrongdoing, but has offered to repair/refund any work due to the sludged engines. I doubt much more will come of it than this, but news agencies LOVE to get an article out that rips on one of the biggest auto manufacturers.

In any event, we change the oil on the Camry every 6-7k miles on regular oil and don't have any problems. Go fig.

BMWCCA1
02-15-2007, 06:04 PM
VW's doing the same thing but you have to show oil changes at the recommended interval. If you've done them yourself, the claim is difficult to prove from what I've seen.