PDA

View Full Version : So I get my "new" 93 E34 back from my mechanic today

megcoss
02-15-2007, 02:40 PM
And the car runs great: new breaks, new gaskets/seals/oil etc. BUT my dash displays are going crazy and it was fine when I gave it to them. They basically said they didn't know what it was but the car is fine. I'm pissed.

I didn't want to argue but I want to figure out why my dash displays are going crazy. They were fine for about the first mile after I picked it up. Please don't flame me for taking it to my regular mechanic, I just want this figured out so thanks in advance.

markus
02-15-2007, 02:48 PM
sounds like u need new capacitors

VentoGT
02-15-2007, 02:48 PM
I think you will need to provide a lot more information to get an answer. What lights are on? What model do you have [525/535/530/540]? If those lights weren't on when you took it there and the mechanic fiddled with the car and now they are on, I would imagine he is responsible, but to get an answer to your question you need to be specific.

megcoss
02-15-2007, 03:09 PM
Sure, it's a 93 525i. All the dash lcd displays were working fine when I dropped it off. When I got in they were ok (even thought they saif they were doing crazy things) I drove a mile and they were blinking, turned into dashes, couldn't read mileage, just mumbo jumbo. Just now I went to start it and its totally blank.

megcoss
02-15-2007, 03:42 PM
Update, I started it again and all the lcd displays came on with thee correct mileage etc. But after about a minute it just had an illuminated flatline of dashes.

Spasso
02-15-2007, 03:58 PM
CHECK ALL OF YOUR ELECTRICAL CONNECTIONS under the hood and car, anywhere these guys may have been working. Loose connections will make your computers and sensors go NUTS.

You might try disconnectiong your battery, negative cable first, then the positive cable. Run a connecting wire between the positive and negative battery cables ONLY. COVER the battery. DO NOT let any of your cables touch a battery terminal.

Turn your key on to position 2, the "run" position for at least an hour. I let mine sit overnight.

This drains all of the diodes and zeros out the adaptive features of the computers.

Reconnect the battery cables, negative cable LAST. Take the car out for a long drive and "retrain" it. You may still get some lights but they may quiet down after a while, it might even take a few days..

I had numerous warning lights that flashed on my 328 starting the day after I did multiple cooling flushes (splashing water all over the O2 sensor) and redoing the cooling sytem R & R. --Trans light- ASC light--etc----After two days of driving all of the warning lights quit appearing.