PDA

View Full Version : Changing fuel filters this weekend?

scott540
04-29-2004, 09:42 AM
Bruno's site says you need visegrips to clamp the fuel line. Would regular spring clamps be strong enough?

Tiger
04-29-2004, 10:00 AM
In my experience, no... spring clamps are not strong enough. U don't have ANY visegrip? You can try it... with visegrip, I put a rag or any protective material around the fuel line before I clamp it down to prevent any damage to fuel line.

Maybe a really big spring clamp have enough force to crimp the fuel hose shut.

Bill R.
04-29-2004, 10:07 AM
a piece of rubber 5/8 heater hose over the jaws of the vice grips or on the pads of the c clamps to cushion it so they don't cut into the fuel lines.

Bruno's site says you need visegrips to clamp the fuel line. Would regular spring clamps be strong enough?

scott540
04-29-2004, 10:46 AM
thanks bill, C- clamps, spring clamps, pipe clamps I got . Used to have a vise grip somewhere.

Woodworker trying to work on a car. :)

Bill R.
04-29-2004, 10:50 AM
slip over the jaws on a clamp to protect delicate items.. those would work just fine on a fuel line..

thanks bill, C- clamps, spring clamps, pipe clamps I got . Used to have a vise grip somewhere.

Woodworker trying to work on a car. :)

632 Regal
04-29-2004, 11:45 AM
pinch the lines....hmm. that would have been a nice option when I did mine a while back. :)

Bill R.
04-29-2004, 11:52 AM
pinch the lines....hmm. that would have been a nice option when I did mine a while back. :)

4byr
04-29-2004, 12:02 PM

This should do the job but make sure you elevate the back end of the car and do it with as little fuel in the tank as possible. It is going to siphon anyway but... Eau to gasolina...parfume

Rich

Unregistered
04-29-2004, 10:09 PM

You don't need a clamp. Just remove the fuse for the fuel pump, crank the engine to remove the pressure from the lines (it probably won't start but if it does just let it die), then remove the clamps and pull the hose off the filter(s) and exchange for a new one. You might get a little fuel out of the filter so don't tip it until you're over a container.

Jeeves

94 540ia

632 Regal
04-29-2004, 10:16 PM
I enjoyed the filters dumping their full amount down my arms while on my back the best, If some is good than more is better!

winfred
04-29-2004, 11:38 PM
me and chuck call that the race for the armpit, it works just as well with brake fluid, atf, oil and coolent but gear lube's my favorite, a close second would be blobs of moly grease from a busted cv joint

I enjoyed the filters dumping their full amount down my arms while on my back the best, If some is good than more is better!

dave b
04-30-2004, 12:04 AM
Whenever I do mine, I just do one end at a time, leaving the little plastic cap on the other end of the new filter. With all of this done above an oil drain pan, it works out fine. No need to go through the clamping steps for me. Maybe on a 540 it's different though.

Then just crank the hell out of your car until it starts...