PDA

View Full Version : Priority of work?

automaticftp
02-15-2007, 12:44 AM
All--

Greetings! My first ever post, so be gentle.....I read the thread on newbies posting, and thought I'd say I have searched through here extensively--some priceless information!

Background: I bought a 1990 525 manual back in August of 2006. It has 189K on the body, approximately 60K on the engine. Overall, it is in very good shape, and I'd really really like to keep it that way. There are, however, some items that need to be repaired.

My question is this: In what order would you suggest having these items done:

1. I know the timing belt/tensioner/water pump/etc. need to be replaced--it has been right about 60K miles, and I've read that 50K is a preferable interval. I'm a bit nervous about driving the car until that's done, since I understand that if the timing belt breaks the car becomes essentially scrap metal.

2. I also have the vibration/shimmying that I've read about here at around 50-60 mph.

3. The exhaust doesn't sound right--it sounds too loud. It sounds pretty cool, actually, but not right. I have no idea what could cause that.

There are a couple of other minor issues--I need a new windshield, the driver's side passenger window doesn't work, and the AC button doesn't work--but I view them as relatively minor.

When I first got the car, I took it to a BMW repair shop just to get the oil changed, etc. They suggested doing the timing belt first, which makes sense to me.

I'm on a somewhat limited budget car-wise for a while, so I'd like to stagger the cost somewhat and would be grateful for your input. And do please let me know if you need more info on the car itself.

Best Regards,

Bob Edwards

pingu
02-15-2007, 07:39 AM
Seems to me that timing belt is the one to get done first (things would get expensive if that broke), then shimmy (thrust arm bushes?), then exhaust.

The water pump is trickier. I guess it depends, in the immortal words of Dirty Harry, how lucky you feel. If the engine has only done 60k then I'd be inclined to leave the water pump alone unless it starts leaking. Others on this forum may have other suggestions.

Blitzkrieg Bob
02-15-2007, 01:25 PM
belt tensioner & pump

it's cheap insurance and if the pump a few miles later, you'll kick youself for not doing while you where in there.

automaticftp
02-16-2007, 12:31 AM
All--

Thanks very much indeed! i've got an appointment to have a timing belt package done next Tuesday--they replace the timing belt, the tensioner, the cam seal (IIRC), the water pump, and, if needed, a couple of radiator hoses.

They'll also be giving me a heads-up on what else the car needs.

Again, thanks!

Bob