PDA

View Full Version : Quick steering question

dt8068
02-14-2007, 04:26 PM
How much pentosin should be in the power steering fluid resevoir? What I mean is, I can't see any type of obvious level indicator as to how high the fluid should be.

The car is a 94 540 with the black metal resevoir, (with no self leveling and has asc if that matters).
Also the resevoir has NO dipstick.

johnbmw524td
02-15-2007, 10:55 AM
Your cap should have a level indicator on it, which equates to about half full in the reservoir bottle. The exact level isn't critical so long as it's not empty and you're not losing fluid.

dt8068
02-15-2007, 11:55 AM
The cap does not have a level indicator on it, that is the other type of resevoir with the "dip stick" that has max and min marks. As per bentley it says between max and min for that resevoir and if the car has self leveling to fill that resevoir to an inch below the top.
My car DOES NOT have self leveling, but is it the same resevoir as the self leveling one?

George M
02-15-2007, 04:05 PM
If your car's p/s reservoir has the mesh strainer in it...then run the fluid level just above the bottom of the strainer which should be about 75-80% full. The thing you have to allow for which is particularly critical with LAD or SLS cars is stroking of the rear slave shocks will change the level in the cannister by a fair amount. Thermal expansion of the fluid is big also...cold to hot so, you don't want the fluid level to be too high. If you stay around 75% full or so, no matter what cannister design you have you will be fine.
HTH,
George

632 Regal
02-15-2007, 06:20 PM
if yours has lines that control the power brakes also you need to press the peddle a lot until it feels solid, then check the level.

Boom n Zoom
02-15-2007, 06:39 PM
As GeorgeM mentioned, you can check the level cold and fill it with Pentoshin CHF 11S or CHF 7.1 (It is marked on the plastic cap) the Handbook states: " to fill to the bottom of the strainer"
With mine (same spec no self leveling and ASC+T. '93 540iA) at this level the powersteering would growl a little. I found that filling it to 1 cm above the strainer when cold stopped any noise and the steering is smooth. Once at operating temperature with the engine running in Park no load the level was 0.5cm higher, well within the capacity of the resevoir.

Cheers!
BnZ