PDA

View Full Version : Missing Fill Hole on my Tranny Pan?

ericbendler
02-14-2007, 03:29 PM
Is there a non-OEM tranny pan out there for the A4S 310R? It seems the one on my 91 525 has no fill screw plug. Just a sheet medal pan and a drain plug.

I can't find the tranny pan as a part on Autohausaz. The part number is 24117519543.

Is there a better place to buy parts?

Anyway. I am dropping the pan to replace the oil that's in there. I really need to have a fill line, unless I can put the tranny fluid down the dipstick.

I took a couple pics and put them here to prove that I am not crazy, and that I really do have a pan with only a drain plug.

http://good-times.webshots.com/album/557643536EeeKOS

Blitzkrieg Bob
02-14-2007, 03:31 PM
it's a hell of a lot easier then filling a later trans from the hole on the side.

ryan roopnarine
02-14-2007, 03:49 PM
the tube topped with a picture of an arrow near the driver's side of your intake manifold and brake booster is your dipstick.

ericbendler
02-14-2007, 10:23 PM
I have not seen anywhere that it says you can put ATF down the dipstick hole. I know it would lead to the pan, but it's just that it says that NOWHERE. not in the Bently, and not anyone on this forum.

I am taking the pan down regardless to change the strainer/filter.

Jon K
02-14-2007, 11:27 PM
I find the side fill hole greatly easy. Pull the plug, put a pump in there, fill it till it spills. done and done.

John B.
02-15-2007, 09:03 AM
I have not seen anywhere that it says you can put ATF down the dipstick hole. I know it would lead to the pan, but it's just that it says that NOWHERE. not in the Bently, and not anyone on this forum.

I am taking the pan down regardless to change the strainer/filter.

I guess they figure it's just common sense as thats how all automatics used to be filled.

ericbendler
02-15-2007, 10:02 AM
I find the side fill hole greatly easy. Pull the plug, put a pump in there, fill it till it spills. done and done.

I appreciate the candor Jon K, but if the hole isn't there, it isn't there. I am certainly not at an advanced skill level yet, with only two white 4 door (e30 & e34) slices of heaven to work on, but that fill hole isn't in my tranny pan.

So I have to assume that it's been replaced with an inferior part.

I mean, it just not there, you know.

Jon K
02-15-2007, 10:12 AM
I appreciate the candor Jon K, but if the hole isn't there, it isn't there. I am certainly not at an advanced skill level yet, with only two white 4 door (e30 & e34) slices of heaven to work on, but that fill hole isn't in my tranny pan.

So I have to assume that it's been replaced with an inferior part.

I mean, it just not there, you know.

I was just responding to whoever said they like the side fill hole. If your car is automatic you won't have the side fill hole. Just go in the bentley manual and see how much trans fluid it takes and send it down the dipstick tube. confirm with the dipstick after wiping it off. However, most people do not recommend replacing automatic transmission fluid.

ericbendler
02-15-2007, 10:16 AM
Really? I missed the mark on that one. I guess I underestimated how many manual trannys there are out there. I will get that tranny fluid in there ASAP. Hmmm...

So no fill hole on the side of the automatics, just on the manuals (which don't have a dipstick).

Gotta say boo BMW on this one.

ryan roopnarine
02-15-2007, 11:20 AM
on the gm tranny (1991-1995 US 525i models) the dipstick was only present on 1991 and 1992 models. after that, it was replaced with the fill hole on the pan for level check and fluid refill purposes.

John B.
02-15-2007, 11:58 AM
Also keep in mind that you will not completely drain all the fluid when you drop the pan so don't go by the max capacity figures when you refill. Measure what came out, put that amount back in, bring the tranny up to temp & measure on your dipstick before adding more.

Jon K
02-15-2007, 12:44 PM
And don't be surprised if the bitch starts to throw trans program errors ;)

Seriously, research this before you do anything.

Blitzkrieg Bob
02-15-2007, 12:58 PM
turn in your tools and get a mechanic