PDA

View Full Version : Rear wheel bearing replacement looks complicated

Dick Schneiders
04-29-2004, 04:33 AM
BMWe34.net shows a procedure for replacing the front wheel bearings, and it is very simple - you just replace the entire hub. There isn't a procedure for rear wheel bearing problems.

Looking at my Bentley and also the ETK, it appears that the rear wheel bearing replacement is not the same. It looks like the hub assembly has to be taken apart and the wheel bearings, only, replaced. Is this true, or can the hub be replaced and that include new bearings?

The manual makes mention of several special BMW tools to take the assembly apart and replace the bearings. This doesn't appear to be something that a driveway mechanic can accomplish, and I am wondering even if my excellent independent mechanic would be able to do this without the special tools.

This is on a 1991 525i.

Thanks,

Dick Schneiders

Dan in NZ
04-29-2004, 05:49 AM
My dealer quoted 2hrs labour for one rear wheel bearing, so I guess even with the special tool it is still a complicated procedure.

Bellicose Right Winger
04-29-2004, 06:28 AM
Before you commit to a bearing replacement, are you sure it's not the parking brake shoe contacting the drum or the pad dragging on rotor due to a stuck/sticking caliper? I'd also use the suggestion I made in

http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?p=12705#post12705

This has the effect of extending the halfshaft and making CV joints operate outside their normal range. Probably helps redistribute the grease to some extent also. If noise is CV joint related I would expect this to change the noise if only temporarily.

Paul Shovestul

BMWe34.net shows a procedure for replacing the front wheel bearings, and it is very simple - you just replace the entire hub. There isn't a procedure for rear wheel bearing problems.

Looking at my Bentley and also the ETK, it appears that the rear wheel bearing replacement is not the same. It looks like the hub assembly has to be taken apart and the wheel bearings, only, replaced. Is this true, or can the hub be replaced and that include new bearings?

The manual makes mention of several special BMW tools to take the assembly apart and replace the bearings. This doesn't appear to be something that a driveway mechanic can accomplish, and I am wondering even if my excellent independent mechanic would be able to do this without the special tools.

This is on a 1991 525i.

Thanks,

Dick Schneiders

MicahO
04-29-2004, 07:02 AM
It might also be more cost effective to find a low-mileage set of trailing arms from a yard and swap the entire assembly into place. Much easier to replace the arm than just the bearing, and arms from a wrecked '95 would likely be more than suitable for another 40K or so miles.....

As Paul said - check for other problems first. It's not very often that the rear bearings go bad. For all intents and purposes they are "lifetime" parts (i.e. 250K-300K miles without a problem).

Any pictures yet? ;)

--Micah

Dick Schneiders
04-29-2004, 07:10 AM
that it looks as good as the throwing star wheels. It is spring here, finally, and I need to do a lot of catch up repairs on our 4 vehicles.

I promise that you will be the first to get any pics.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Dick Schneiders

It might also be more cost effective to find a low-mileage set of trailing arms from a yard and swap the entire assembly into place. Much easier to replace the arm than just the bearing, and arms from a wrecked '95 would likely be more than suitable for another 40K or so miles.....

As Paul said - check for other problems first. It's not very often that the rear bearings go bad. For all intents and purposes they are "lifetime" parts (i.e. 250K-300K miles without a problem).

Any pictures yet? ;)

--Micah

Dick Schneiders
04-29-2004, 07:11 AM
Before you commit to a bearing replacement, are you sure it's not the parking brake shoe contacting the drum or the pad dragging on rotor due to a stuck/sticking caliper? I'd also use the suggestion I made in

http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?p=12705#post12705

This has the effect of extending the halfshaft and making CV joints operate outside their normal range. Probably helps redistribute the grease to some extent also. If noise is CV joint related I would expect this to change the noise if only temporarily.

Paul Shovestul

MicahO
04-29-2004, 07:24 AM
I finally got some pictures up, though since they aren't e34's, I don't know who here wants to see :)

http://www.bimmernut.com/~micah/330iZHP.htm

I should clear 1K miles next week and finally be able to open the sucker up a bit.....

ryan roopnarine
04-29-2004, 08:14 AM
if you're willing to take care of it yerself, and it is indeed the bearing (and its a safety issue) 75 plus parts cost is not too bad

http://www.koalamotorsport.com/services/toolrent.htm

Dick Schneiders
04-29-2004, 08:33 AM
Now I have some options. Hopefully it doesn't turn out to be a wheel bearing issue.

Dick Schneiders

if you're willing to take care of it yerself, and it is indeed the bearing (and its a safety issue) 75 plus parts cost is not too bad

http://www.koalamotorsport.com/services/toolrent.htm

Bill R.
04-29-2004, 10:21 AM
bearings on was a e24, didn't have any special tools but fabricated the pullers and pushers that I needed..But i also had access to most of the equipment needed to fabricate the tools..

Now I have some options. Hopefully it doesn't turn out to be a wheel bearing issue.

Dick Schneiders

Unregistered
04-30-2004, 12:32 PM
I have had both sides done on my E34 525i M50 1991
It cost me £60 per side and was well worth the money, having initially tried to do it myself.
The problem seems that you need the BMW puller to get the hub off.
My local BM mechanic shares a removal tool with a few others. This looks more like a puller with a slide hammer attached.
He told me that mine took about 2 hours per side. Some come off easy some are a lot harder.
Good luck

winfred
04-30-2004, 12:40 PM
you need to be able to get everything back together without driving the inner race out of the new bearing, i've done a ton of e30/36 they have a nice hole through the hub that makes it easy, i've not done a e34/32 i just replace the arm, my e30/36 tool won't do em

paulb525ise
01-30-2006, 02:16 PM

This is on a 1991 525i.

Thanks,

Dick Schneiders

Did you change your rear bearing? I have to change mine and I cant find much info either what was the job like?