PDA

View Full Version : Transmission Issue?

JetMech
02-13-2007, 08:09 PM
This will be quick. When I shift my car into drive sometimes the car doesn't seem to recognize that it is, the "D" on the dash showing the gear doesn't show up unless I hold the gearshift back a little bit. Every other gear registers and seats in fine. When it does this, I haven't had any problems but I'd rather not drop my transmission behind me. Any suggestions or fixes? Thanks for advance.

Greg

Ross
02-13-2007, 08:12 PM
The car goes fine, right. Probably switch just needs adjusting.

Kalevera
02-13-2007, 08:46 PM
The shift gate can sometimes get notches worn into it with use and need replacement.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=HJ63&mospid=47414&btnr=25_0056&hg=25&fg=15

#1 in the picture.

Could also be the Neutral Position Switch, which is immediately to the left of the gate, mounted to the shifter. They get gunked up.

Cable could also be out of adjustment at the trans, but that is somewhat unlikely.

JetMech
10-27-2007, 05:50 PM
Ok, thread bump because the problem is back. It's the same as before, the "drive" gear indicator won't light up unless I hold the shifter back. However, this time around, it seems like it's actually giving the tranny problems. If I hold it back constantly it seems to go alright. If I don't, when accelerating it has a tendency to rev much higher than normal under very lenient acceleration, maybe around 4 to 5k and doesn't seem to want to shift up. Also, on a rarer occasion, the car will surge as if it's trying to decide what gear it's in, namely during acceleration. If ANYONE can help I would appreciate it and ask me if you don't understand something. I've tried to describe it the best I can. Thanks guys.

~Greg