PDA

View Full Version : Twisting Electric Seats

RSK540iA
02-13-2007, 02:02 PM
Hi all,

I've been reading several posts about twisting seats and malfunctioning headrests. Many recommend shortening the outer cable/lengthening the inner cable. Why not just go to a reputable company and have a new, stronger cable made up? Surely this beats a relatively temporary repair of modifying the inner/outer cable?

Ralf

Fetch
02-13-2007, 02:12 PM
It's fine, and some people do, however, the cost of the new cable compared to the cost (free) of repairing it is probably the deciding factor.

In my opinion it's no more of a temporary repair than buying a new cable, the new cable will most likely shrink in 15 years like the original did.

I'm happy it was such an easy repair, I didn't even take the seats out of the car when I fixed a few cables on my seats.

Blitzkrieg Bob
02-13-2007, 02:29 PM
I've done it on many seats, and no one has come back for a redo

Phatty5BMW
02-13-2007, 05:47 PM
Fixed mine in no time, 6 Months ago still works great! Free, Simple... Why not?
my .02 :)
Pat

GoldenEagleFan
02-13-2007, 10:56 PM
and is likely to last as long another 10-15 years. And then a do over for basically a half hour of time. The time you spend repairing the cable is likely to be less than the time to replace the cable so why not take the easy fix. The longest time I spent doing the repair was unding the nut for the retaining clamps for the cable and once I remembered I had a swivel and nut driver for a 1/4 inch drive it took less than 10 minutes to wrap up.

RSK540iA
02-14-2007, 03:06 AM
Okay, okay, I'm convinced.:)