PDA

View Full Version : Just bought a 1993 525i with 140K. I did everything one shouldn't do when buying.

megcoss
02-12-2007, 07:56 PM
Yes, I bought on impulse and thankfully it may have not been a bad thing. Anyway, I have no owners manual and have a few questions:

-My car was produced in 12/92 does it have Vanos? (1993 525i Auto)
-Where can I get an owners manual? (none on ebay)
-One of the seat belts does not click in, I assume the housing mech is broken, is that an easy fix?
-My mechanic said evertyhing looks good but he has to replace some seals and gaskets and the do the front brakes. He also said the electronic/manual switch was broken, not sure what that means since I'm not yet familiar with the car.
-Lastly, go ahead and flame me but I didn't run a carfax on it. It has had the same owner since 20K miles but when I did put the vin in it bought up 12 things but I didn't pay to see them, I had already bought the car at that point. Should I still do it?

Thanks, the car runs awesome. It's a sweet ride and I got it for a steal.

Blitzkrieg Bob
02-12-2007, 08:00 PM
At least you took it to a mechanic for a looking over before something bad pops up.

I'd head to Las vegas, you may be on a winning streak.

Denton
02-12-2007, 08:04 PM
Meh, if you got it for a steal then you got it for a steal. I PPI my cars, but probably wouldn't bother if it was a screaming deal.

Yes, you do have VANOS. It's noisy, but great when it works. Coincidentally, mine just went out at 109k. :(

If you had an owner's manual, you could read what the A/M switch is. The switch next to the shifter...if you put it in "M" mode, you can switch it manually. It's not suited for performance driving. I've found it useful on a steep, snowy downhill slope. If you've got the money, fix it. If you put it into "S3" that's sport mode, locking out overdrive as well.

What color combo is it?

megcoss
02-12-2007, 08:06 PM
LOL I just came back from Vegas and I won a little, so maybe I am on a lucky streak.

megcoss
02-12-2007, 08:14 PM
Thanks for your response, the color combo is green with tan leather. When you say the Vanos is noisy, what do you mean?

Ross
02-13-2007, 09:54 AM
The switch may only be fouled with spilled coffee or something. Often these will work again after a cleaning with contact cleaner. Ditto for window, seat heater switches. Consequences of German insistance not to provide cupholders.
Whatever the Carfax says is irrelevent now.
Somebody here will prob have the manual you seek. I will be happy to reference mine for you if have a question.
Welcome

spyrot1
02-13-2007, 10:15 AM
How much did you get it for?

megcoss
02-13-2007, 10:44 AM
I bought it for 2K

spyrot1
02-13-2007, 11:26 AM
I bought it for 2K

Nice!

Figure you'll need put in another 2k to 5k in repairs and upgrades...

632 Regal
02-13-2007, 11:54 AM
front end sits too high, get some lowering springs...

:D

Denton
02-13-2007, 04:27 PM
Thanks for your response, the color combo is green with tan leather. When you say the Vanos is noisy, what do you mean?

Park it next to a running Lexus and you'll hear a funny noise from the BMW. It's only the VANOS, it's fine.

Blitzkrieg Bob
02-13-2007, 04:29 PM
Park it next to a running Lexus and you'll hear a funny noise from the BMW. It's only the VANOS, it's fine.

Rrrr rrr rrr

or rattle

Mine sounded like a diesel VW rabbit when I changed the oil.....too much air in the system.

megcoss
02-13-2007, 05:29 PM
Thanks for your responses. It is still at the mechanic getting the needed work done and the next project is to figure out in which manner to restore the wood trim. I was looking into the kits or even sanding and lacqering it myself. Much of it looks faded and has cracks.

Spasso
02-13-2007, 11:55 PM
-Where can I get an owners manual? (none on ebay)

I found an owners manual here,
http://www.books4cars.com/result3.asp?finddesc=525&imageField2.x=20&imageField2.y=5

I picked up a complete set of books from these guys,
The "new owners kit".
Owners manual, radio book, warranty book, service center locations and the introductory BMW CD, all with pouch for my 94 530.

Email them and they can probably put together a better deal than what they have listed on this link. They aren't updated that often

They also have shop manuals and electrical trouble shooting books as well as historical publications.

bigtisas
02-14-2007, 01:52 AM
What's the benefit(s) for Vanos? The spec seems to be the same for 92 and 93 525.

DaveVoorhis
02-14-2007, 02:07 AM
What's the benefit(s) for Vanos? The spec seems to be the same for 92 and 93 525.
The claim is that it re-shapes the torque curve for better mid-range oomph. It also improves the marketability of the technical platform, i.e., it's a gimmick to put on the sales brochures.

Denton
02-14-2007, 01:03 PM

VANOS gives a flatter torque curve, improves emissions and fuel economy.

At about 3500 RPM when the "hot" cam comes on, you can feel it all to redline. When my VANOS died I didn't feel that push at 3500.