PDA

View Full Version : BMW 525IX Problems

Tom4WD
02-12-2007, 04:50 PM
Hi all, I have a 4WD BMW 525IX 1993(K)....The car is a Automatic and there is prob with the gearbox or sensor of some kind

Sometimes ,when i select Drive or Reverse and put my foot on the accerlator ,on occasion the car just revs up and then doesn't go anywhere. If i rev it and it doesn't go and let my foot off the acc. and put my foot back on it and it goes fine as normal....It only does this when acceleration from stopped or very slow (up to 5mph).....Does anybody know what to do about this??? could it be gearbox oil??

Also by the side of the gear selector where it Says, D,N,R,4,3,2 for the gears.... should thisbe illuminated when the driving lights are on.... as this doesn't light up and i can't see what gear i'm in at night :(

Any Help Greatly Apriciated

Thanks Tom4wd :D

DanH
02-12-2007, 05:29 PM
Hi all, I have a 4WD BMW 525IX 1993(K)...

Also by the side of the gear selector where it Says, D,N,R,4,3,2 for the gears.... should thisbe illuminated when the driving lights are on.... as this doesn't light up and i can't see what gear i'm in at night :(

I don't know if anyone else here has a 525IX.

The gear you are in should appear on the instrument cluster on the lower right side.

Sometimes the gear selector contacts will get dirty and cause problems with knowing which gear is selected. You can take out the selector and clean the contacts, this doesn't seem like the same issue you are having though.

whiskychaser
02-12-2007, 05:50 PM
[QUOTE=Tom4WD]Hi all, I have a 4WD BMW 525IX 1993(K)....The car is a Automatic and there is prob with the gearbox or sensor of some kind

Sometimes ,when i select Drive or Reverse and put my foot on the accerlator ,on occasion the car just revs up and then doesn't go anywhere. If i rev it and it doesn't go and let my foot off the acc. and put my foot back on it and it goes fine as normal....It only does this when acceleration from stopped or very slow (up to 5mph).....Does anybody know what to do about this??? could it be gearbox oil??

Hi. My '92 525i doesnt have illumination by the lever either- there is no fitting for it under the panel. But as stated you should have illumination on the dash. As I think you are in the trade I would see if a mate will do a diagnostic on the EGS for you regarding your other problem.