PDA

View Full Version : Smaller steering wheel blocks view of turn signal indicators -- solution

gale
02-11-2007, 09:11 PM
The top rim of my 370 mm M-Tech 2 steering wheel totally blocks my view of the blinkers & I have to duck to see whether or not I they're on. I might be old but not old enough to be driving down the road like an old geezer forgetting to turn the blinkers off.

temporary fix, phase 1:

http://www.nmia.com/~dgnrg/blinker1.jpg

http://www.nmia.com/~dgnrg/blinker2.jpg

http://www.nmia.com/~dgnrg/blinker3.jpg

I opened up the cluster & soldered 2 tiny wheat lamps to the traces of the pc board turn signal bulb traces & taped them to the outside bottom edge. Next step will be to open the cluster & tuck the bulbs on the inside somewhere along the bottom row of idiot lights, just enough to get my attention.

BigTed00
02-11-2007, 09:45 PM
ghettooooo

just kidding, i hate how my wheel blocks the view of the speedo and turn signals.

i have looked like an ass so many times just cause i couldnt see it

cool idea

Martin in Bellevue
02-11-2007, 10:09 PM
I thought of tapping the blinker relay on the steering column (at least on my '89 535). The relay is just behin the wheel & exists only to make the turn signal noise.
I've since learned to trust the turn stalk position by feel. I have the smaller mtech2 wheel.

Robin-535im
02-12-2007, 12:31 AM
How many blinks did it take before you caught one on film? :) Our digital camera has too much delay for a tricky event like that!

filip00
02-12-2007, 09:38 AM
How many blinks did it take before you caught one on film? :) Our digital camera has too much delay for a tricky event like that!

hahaha,funny remark, maybe it was 20 tries :D

Arxon
02-12-2007, 09:41 AM
I had the same problem but everything is OK now I changed the steering wheel, (the new one includes air bag) safer and practical:)

billy
02-12-2007, 10:03 AM
cant you hear it clicking????

Ross
02-12-2007, 11:34 AM
Great idea. How about putting them over the "hood" of the cluster?
This the kind of creative solution that makes this board so good.

Jon K
02-12-2007, 12:09 PM
I opened up the cluster & soldered 2 tiny wheat lamps to the traces of the pc board

Gale, these are perfect because I have to set up my "F1 style shiftlights" and am looking for intsy bintsy LEDs or lights. Details on these lights and where you got them?

Ross
02-12-2007, 01:03 PM
Hobby stores sell 'em.

cybereclipse
02-12-2007, 01:27 PM
heres another great place where you can get leds for dirt cheap

http://www.superbrightleds.com/

Blitzkrieg Bob
02-12-2007, 01:28 PM
mirror

Black 535i
02-12-2007, 02:21 PM
What if you hooked up the indicators to some lighted washer spray nozzles on your hood? Doesn't look like it snows or gets cold where you are if it is 52 F at this time of year.

gale
02-12-2007, 08:26 PM

LOL--Funny! Yea, took 3 or 4 frames before I caught it.

---

Billy: cant you hear it clicking????

Barely, & not at all with the radio turned up. I'm deaf as a post -- too many hours in the fab shop on a 90-grinder without earplugs & lit off a few too many M-80's as a kid

---

Jon K: Details on these lights and where you got them?

Hobby shop. They come in all sizes & colors. Look for "wheat lamps". The ones I got are 12V & are about .090" dia. x 1/4" lg. Don't know how long they'll last before burning out. I used them all the time as a kid on slot cars & later in the dash of my 1st car -- '65 VW beetle.

---

Black 535i: What if you hooked up the indicators to some lighted washer spray nozzles on your hood?

That would work, in which case I'd prolly wire them to the outside blinkers & hope it didn't foul the check control message

gale
02-12-2007, 08:32 PM
I had the same problem but everything is OK now I changed the steering wheel, (the new one includes air bag) safer and practical:)

Yea, I thought long & hard about the consequences of eliminating the airbag, but you gotta admit the M-Tech 2 wheel is a sweet looking mod & I really like the feel & quicker turn-in of a smaller wheel. Every mod we do to our beloved beasts has it's plus & minuses, & a 7 has more "crush" matter in a frontal. As long as it's only me driving it . . .

Jr ///M5
02-12-2007, 09:28 PM
Don you probably have the skill and ability to retrofit a "Heads Up Display", now that would solve any problem with that steering wheel.;)