PDA

View Full Version : No Start! WTF?

Denton
02-10-2007, 09:57 PM
E34 didn't start.

Full tank of Shell 89, not sure when battery was last replaced. 22 degrees F outside. Last driven four hours ago.

When key is twisted, has a grinding sound.

All accessories work and lights are bright. Unlock/Lock works fine.

Hooked up jumper cables to running Pontiac. Positive on the good first, then positive on mine. Negative to good then, then negative ground on my strut tower bolts. No effect.

What's wrong? February has not been kind to the E34.

BMWCCA1
02-10-2007, 10:07 PM
Bad starter?

Or: When you last drove it was if for a short distance? Sometimes this vintage engine will load up the plugs when moving them from one parked location to another, or if they just idle a long time. In some cases it will make odd noises when attempting to start if it's loaded up. Sometime it takes cleaning the plugs to get them going, but usually they'll run on some of the plugs rather than not start at all. You might try cranking it with your foot floored on the accelerator. It worked for my 318ti when it acted the same way.

But it could be your starter.

Denton
02-10-2007, 10:10 PM
It's looking like it's the starter.

On another board:

grinding means the starter is not engaging correctly, probably either the starter or the flywheel has a stripped gear tooth, you just happened to park the car at that perfect spot where they don't mesh enough to spin the flywheel.

oh I should probably give you advice on how to start the car, get a breaker bar and a deep socket that fits the crank bolt, and manually turn the engine a 1/4 turn, then try starting the car again.

BMWCCA1
02-11-2007, 01:49 PM
It's highly unlikely you've stripped the ring gear (flex plate on an automatic) unless you've been having starter problems for quite some time. More likely the starter just isn't kicking out far enough. You might try heating the starter if the car is not kept indoors in this weather, or smacking it hard on the starter body before or during (if you can) starter operation. Sticking can be from dirt, lack of lube, all a function of age. They'll usually act up for quite some time before they just give up entirely. Now if it was a manual.... ;)

BMWCCA1
02-12-2007, 12:10 PM
What did you figure out? :(