PDA

View Full Version : Meet Fiona, my new Touring

Kalevera
02-10-2007, 05:00 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v736/suzpectx/touring1.jpg

Picked her up yesterday and I think I'll call her Fiona. She rides well and was generally well cared for, but there are a few things to do.

It seems I can't stay away from Islandgrun on Pergament cars, although my iX was a Diamondschwarz on black... 3 of the past 5 BMWs I've owned have been green on tan.

Engine (M50TU) and transmission (GM Hydramatic A4S-310R, 11/92 build date) are for sale, as this car was bought for the purpose of a drivetrain conversion. Car has 154k on it, I put 600 miles on her yesterday without a hitch, engine has a new water pump. I think I'll be asking $800 for the engine and $600 for the transmission.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v736/suzpectx/m501.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v736/suzpectx/m502.jpg

Exhaust, including a nearly new factory cat back, will likely also be for sale.

Now the only question is...what does she get instead :)

Robin-535im
02-10-2007, 05:07 PM
Now the only question is...what does she get instead :)
Looks sharp! For the engine, how about:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130077264725

or if you are really ambitious,

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300078433483

Ross
02-10-2007, 05:16 PM
I am interested in the exhaust. Where are you?

Kalevera
02-10-2007, 05:22 PM
Hi Robin, Thanks.

Autosport in Michigan (Kirt K.) has a very low mile E39 M5 kit. Been thinking about that. It wouldn't be that hard, and I have all of the brake parts to make it work under the hood.

Also been thinking about an M70/S70, but the transmission cost is prohibitive if it gets the 6 speed (and it has to). I don't think anyone's put a V12 in a touring yet, and the weight difference between the touring and the sedan would be enough to make the V12 a GREAT swap for the car.

I've been adverse to the S5x swap...too common. But Fiona might end up getting that.

Either way, I have to make a decision fast and get started.

Denton
02-10-2007, 06:00 PM
Ooohhh...

Islandgrun is actually my favorite color...I like green.

Personally, I wouldn't bother with an M70, I just don't like 'em. A BMW V8 is a better idea to me, but if you were to do that I would think that a 530iT would have been a better starting point. That's just my wild guess.

Sounds like a fun project you'll have!

Martin in Bellevue
02-10-2007, 06:12 PM
Tourings are attractive. I like what Hersted did with his touring, m30/ 5 speed manual gearbox. I think an m50/s50/s52 with a manual gearbox would be fun too. The dynan vortech supacharger would add to the fun.

Gayle
02-10-2007, 08:35 PM
I have a memory like an elephant. You said this in August 2005. What took you so long to land one?

People have looked at me like I am crazy for saying this, but...I think the E34 touring is just about the most drop dead gorgeous car ever conceived. The lines are just so darn sexy. Like a beautiful woman with a hint of arrogance about her....You just gotta pursue her, even though you know it's probably not the best thing in the world for your health :)

best, whit

Fiona huh? Does Fritz like her? Are they going to mate and have little green isettas? Did you name her after Shrek? Congratulations.

BTW Chris who works on my car at Carl Nelson's just did a 5 speed conversion on his touring. Said it wasn't that back to do and he is just totally pleased with the results.

Kalevera
02-10-2007, 11:41 PM
Hi Gayle...

You do have a great memory!

Actually, it was Rob Levinson who thought I was crazy for saying that. You should've seen his face.

I could get into a lot of metaphysical ******** as to why this is happening now, but the reality of it is that I made a commitment to do it. That's really all you need, and a little faith, the pieces fall in to place.

Fritz is hibernating in the garage, and probably a little jealous. He's still getting good parts.

The 5 speed swap is good but a little too common for the purpose of this car. The M50/tu is fine for soccer moms but...an engine swap is in the future.

You won't be my valentine? Ouch. I must be losing my touch

repenttokyo
02-11-2007, 03:00 PM
put an ls1 in it - less expensive than the m5 v8, same horsepower, and cheaper parts / performance parts.

shanek
02-11-2007, 04:05 PM
I vote for the S62.

Kalevera
02-11-2007, 05:04 PM
Haha....Steve?!? Is that you?!

I know this guy named Steve, he's in the dyno business and he owns a lot of hot cars, skylines and things of that nature. His answer to any problem is, "Stuff an LS1 in it!"

Steve stole a pristine late E32 750 for $2000 due to erratic transmission shifting. No AEGS or EML faults in the control units. So we gave him a transmission to stuff in it, gotta be a valve body issue.

He comes back with the same problem, so he threatens the LS1 again, but then decides to throw another transmission at it.

He comes back a third time, same problem, so we put some time into the car. The solution? A new set of wires.

The purists won't have an LS1, so I won't be putting one in the car. It's a desirability issue, not so much a cost issue.

repenttokyo
02-11-2007, 05:21 PM
hehe, no my name isn't steve ;)

stilljester
02-11-2007, 05:42 PM
Looks good man!!! Love the green!!

Any swap would great - I'll do something like that in the future but I figured I'd wait till the M50 dies first, so just a 5 speed swap for the time being.

Gayle
02-11-2007, 11:29 PM
You won't be my valentine? Ouch. I must be losing my touch

That doesn't apply to you.;)

mikeythekidd
02-12-2007, 09:24 PM
Nice touring! Just picked up one identical. I,m interested in 5sp swap. anyone know who to contact?

Mr Project
02-13-2007, 08:52 AM
Hmmm....an Island green over Parchment Touring with an engine and 5-speed swap? Sounds familiar! :)