PDA

View Full Version : If you put 5mm spacers on, are longer studs automatically needed?

John2
04-28-2004, 01:49 PM
I am fitting some rims and the fronts fit fine, rears fit fine when they were test fit, but once the bolts were tightened they rubbed the caliper just enough so that the rim wont spin freely. I can either put spacers on....presumably small ones...5mm...or sand the caliper down. I think the second option might be stupid?
Anyways...if I go for the spacers, will the lugs need to be longer or can they accomodate such a small increase, I know it would be different if they were 25mm, etc.

DrewZ
04-28-2004, 01:54 PM
They're only $2.50/each @ Turner (http://www.turnermotorsport.com). For $25, I'd rather be safe than sorry.

I am fitting some rims and the fronts fit fine, rears fit fine when they were test fit, but once the bolts were tightened they rubbed the caliper just enough so that the rim wont spin freely. I can either put spacers on....presumably small ones...5mm...or sand the caliper down. I think the second option might be stupid?
Anyways...if I go for the spacers, will the lugs need to be longer or can they accomodate such a small increase, I know it would be different if they were 25mm, etc.

winfred
04-28-2004, 07:41 PM
only if you like the idea of a wheel falling off, it's so funny to see a brake rotor with .5-1" ground off in one spot, when we pull a wheel to service the car (it's only happened a couple times, and seen a few more through the salvage yard)

Rick L
04-28-2004, 07:47 PM
5mm spacers are not hub centric. Do you have any problems with shimmy? Only 15mm or higher have the hub centric.

winfred
04-28-2004, 07:57 PM
i had 5mm h&r spacers on my 1st set of e38 rims (245/50/16) the shimmy sucked ass, after dicking with it for 5-10k miles i had enough and sold em

5mm spacers are not hub centric. Do you have any problems with shimmy? Only 15mm or higher have the hub centric.