PDA

View Full Version : M5 Diagraim

indymdm
02-10-2007, 07:11 AM
hello guys i have a nieghbor who blew a head gasget on a 91 m5 and needs diagraim to change head gasget and also the water pump he says bently doesnt cover the material and he is having trouble finding it

ricola
02-10-2007, 08:15 AM
I suggest he gets a new manual.

jrobbo
02-10-2007, 02:24 PM
You can try downloading the E34 Service Repair manual (http://www.jrobbo.com/e34_bmw_service_repair_guide_v1.0.pdf) and see if that has the info that you want. Be warned that it is a 133MB download, so it may take a while.

John

Jr ///M5
02-10-2007, 05:28 PM
While it is *possible* to pull the head with the engine in the car, BMW recommends pulling the engine to yank the head.

I know, I know....but that's what the BMW manuals are going to tell you. There isn't very much information available for the S38 engine. I'll have to dig around and see what I've got for it.

The water pump is simple enough, there is one bolt that attaches from the driver side rear of the pump and space is limited to swing a ratchet, an air ratchet works wonders here.

VentoGT
02-12-2007, 10:00 AM
indy, find the M5 board on yahoo.com and join. Also go to www.m5board.com and post. There was no Bentley for the M5 as far as I can remember, and the S38 is a lot different than the run of the mill motors for this car. Use caution as these cars cost $10K to rebuild an engine as an estimate. Don't tackle anything without the proper knowledge and documentation.

ILoveMPower
02-12-2007, 10:29 AM
indy, find the M5 board on yahoo.com and join. Also go to www.m5board.com and post. There was no Bentley for the M5 as far as I can remember, and the S38 is a lot different than the run of the mill motors for this car. Use caution as these cars cost $10K to rebuild an engine as an estimate. Don't tackle anything without the proper knowledge and documentation.

Very well said, S38 is a somewhat "delicate" engine and should be treated as such.

The Bigfella
02-13-2007, 02:46 AM
I'm doing the same job at the moment - but given the nature of these engines - and the fact that they are worthy of the expense - do the total job. I'm doing bearings, rings, bolts, chains, oil and water pumps, etc, etc.

Be very careful to make sure the head bolt holes are blown out so that you don't crack the block.

Ian