PDA

View Full Version : what is this stuff?

wingman
02-10-2007, 01:06 AM
I was cleaning under the car today and I've discovered what appears to be sprayed on 'gunk'. It's a yellow colour and has a waxy consistency but has dried on some parts and comes off in a powdery form. As it appears on the under side of most components it appears to have been sprayed on from underneath. My rocker cover/inlet manifold has that gold coloured discolouring which I've heard was sprayed onto export stuff (God knows why). Could this be the same stuff? I want to get rid of it but if it is there to protect parts I'll leave it on. Any help would be great. sorry no pics.

632 Regal
02-10-2007, 01:08 AM
Eggnog?

Might be some sort of advanced (at the time) undercoating. If its loose anywhere scrape it off cause salt/water/crap can settle in there and work overtime.

wingman
02-10-2007, 01:32 AM
Eggnog?

Might be some sort of advanced (at the time) undercoating. If its loose anywhere scrape it off cause salt/water/crap can settle in there and work overtime.

If it's eggnogg derived should I lick it off?:D

Alexlind123
02-10-2007, 01:42 AM
I think its cosmoline, they put it on e34s when they shipped them overseas.

wingman
02-10-2007, 01:45 AM
I think its cosmoline, they put it on e34s when they shipped them overseas.

Was it a sealant? It seems to have been randomly (read quickly) sprayed on. I think I'll do as Regal says and just get rid of the stuff. It look terrible as most of it has come off anyway.

gale
02-10-2007, 01:52 AM
Yes, it's cosmoline, used for corrosion protection for overseas shipment as mentioned, & when they sit at the dock ports of call. It's a water soluable when fresh & comes off with a hot water/soap spray wash. Once it's baked on, it's a b*tch to get off. About the only thing I've been able to get it off with is a wire brush & paint stripper. Just leave whatever is on the undercarriage. I've been whittling away at various sections in the engine compartment over the years when I take time to clean it.

mattyb
02-10-2007, 04:52 AM
eggnog! brilliant. I love this board. i would have said stowaway arabic spew and foecal matter but eggnog is much better. good one jeff

Ross
02-10-2007, 08:55 AM
Ancient cosmoline.

wingman
02-12-2007, 12:38 AM
Thanks all.

pundit
02-12-2007, 01:01 AM
Cosmoline... sticks worse to an E34 than **** does to a blanket!!

billy
02-12-2007, 04:15 AM
i think you will find the substance on the underside of the vehicle is called 'waxoyl' and the stuff on the rocker is cosmoline

http://www.hammerite-automotive.com/waxoyl.htm

Paul in NZ
02-12-2007, 04:37 AM
did someone say cosmoline....has anyone got a heavier coating than this
look at the rocker cover its positively yellow!
http://www.bimmer.info/bmw/kiwi535/engine%20right.jpg