PDA

View Full Version : Does a failing wheel bearing sound like a chirp?

Dick Schneiders
04-28-2004, 07:04 AM
I am getting an intermittent chirping noise that changes in frequency with the speed. It is coming from my right rear wheel. I took the wheel off and when I turn the hub, I can hear a faint noise. It seems to be once with every revolution, but it is so faint when I do this I may be missing some.

Could this be the early stages of a failing bearing? Do you think it would be safe to drive the car, or should I dry dock it until I can get the problem resolved?

Thanks,

Dick Schneiders

Dick Schneiders
04-28-2004, 07:08 AM
but the pace at which the sound occurs. I can only hear it when driving in town, but the tone of the sound does not seem to change much, if at all.

I am getting an intermittent chirping noise that changes in frequency with the speed. It is coming from my right rear wheel. I took the wheel off and when I turn the hub, I can hear a faint noise. It seems to be once with every revolution, but it is so faint when I do this I may be missing some.

Could this be the early stages of a failing bearing? Do you think it would be safe to drive the car, or should I dry dock it until I can get the problem resolved?

Thanks,

Dick Schneiders

ryan roopnarine
04-28-2004, 07:08 AM
does it happen when power is applied, or when its off, or all of the time? i think one of my cv joints is dry because it will groan a little at certain speeds, as well as FULL lock turns in the direction of the suspect unit. if its all the time/power off, its probably a wheel bearing, power on--cv joint. can you introduce "play" into the wheel with it off the ground?

Dick Schneiders
04-28-2004, 07:11 AM
that it is drowned out by traffice noise, etc. much of the time. However, I have tried coasting when I hear the sound and the sound is still there. Even when I apply brake pressure, the sound is there.

I haven't tried to see if I can introduce any play into the wheel.

Thanks for the suggestion.

does it happen when power is applied, or when its off, or all of the time? i think one of my cv joints is dry because it will groan a little at certain speeds, as well as FULL lock turns in the direction of the suspect unit. if its all the time/power off, its probably a wheel bearing, power on--cv joint. can you introduce "play" into the wheel with it off the ground?

Bill R.
04-28-2004, 09:26 AM
seen one fail bad yet though...so I wouldn't get too concerned about not driving it. I don't think i would go on any 130 mph blasts on the highway though but for normal driving i wouldn't worry that much.. Check the wheel for play when you have it up in the air, grab the top and bottom of the tire and push-pull to see how loose the bearing is.. I had one on a front wheel drive nissan last week that I could move almost 2 inches and the driver hadn't noticed anything except the tires were wearing extremely rapidly on the edges from the tire fluttering around...:)

Thanks,

Dick Schneiders

Dick Schneiders
04-28-2004, 11:34 AM
I am not certain that I can even get my 525i up to 130 mph anymore. Although I haven't tried it since I put on the Throwing Stars I bought from Micah. They certainly look fast, so maybe........

Dick Schneiders

seen one fail bad yet though...so I wouldn't get too concerned about not driving it. I don't think i would go on any 130 mph blasts on the highway though but for normal driving i wouldn't worry that much.. Check the wheel for play when you have it up in the air, grab the top and bottom of the tire and push-pull to see how loose the bearing is.. I had one on a front wheel drive nissan last week that I could move almost 2 inches and the driver hadn't noticed anything except the tires were wearing extremely rapidly on the edges from the tire fluttering around...:)