PDA

View Full Version : Sorta OT: 1987 325i

Macv
02-06-2007, 03:29 PM
Havent really started my search yet, but we're picking up a nice white '87 325and I thought you guys would have some info for me.

Any common problems I should look at first? I'll post pics soon, but until then, I'd love if you could fill me up on info.

Kalevera
02-06-2007, 04:05 PM
Typical E30 stuff. Control arm bushings and ball joints. Rear subframe bushings, shock mounts. Timing belt! Wouldn't even drive the thing unless its history is known. Sometimes the power steering stuff needs a once over. Same with the intake gaskets, oil pan and timing cover gaskets/seals. Interiors are usually pretty hardy, but there can be instrument cluster issues (SI batteries), window regulators to deal with, worn leather on the seats, and worn gas charged struts in the seats (to aid in movement).

If it's a northern car, check for rust at the license plate lights, under the rear half directly behind the wheels, and in the bottoms of the front fenders.

Hope it's a 5 speed. Take pics!

Macv
02-06-2007, 04:32 PM
It is a 5 speed. We got it for 800 bucks. Its body is almost perfect. It hit a large animal, so the lower bumper/radiator is hurting a bit. Runs well, no ticks. Only thing insides thats damaged is the driver seat. It has the red leather sport seats and one is just torn to hell. Its also missing the plastic under the steering wheel that covers all the wires.

Thanks for the rundown so far. Can anyone point me to some links? I've found bmwe30.net but it doesn't load for me. Any help is appreciated.

winfred
02-06-2007, 08:06 PM
http://www.e30tech.com/ good e30 forum

Thanks for the rundown so far. Can anyone point me to some links? I've found bmwe30.net but it doesn't load for me. Any help is appreciated.

Rigmaster
02-07-2007, 08:39 AM
Sounds like a pretty good buy.

If the seats are sport seats, you might be able to find a donor seat that has the panels (bolsters, center pieces, etc) you need to repair your driver's seat. Those seats are sort of modular in that you can easily take the individual cushions off and on with a little time and effort.

I cannot stress enough what Whit said about the timing belt. If you don't have any records of when it was last done, you need to make it a priority and do it NOW!!

www.r3vlimited.com is a pretty good active E30 forum- populated with more than its fair share of broke-ass-know-it-all-baggypants-college-and-highschool-kids, but they are good guys for the most part.

Also, bimmerforums.com has a decent e30 forum.

Bret

brick8
02-07-2007, 08:43 AM
try e30.net. Was helpful to me when I owned a 1989 325ic. Great car to work on and fun to drive. Do the timing belt/water pump service asap if it hasn't been done recently and remember to adjust the valves.