PDA

View Full Version : Tire rotation on E34s

Alpinewhite
02-06-2007, 02:13 PM
Hi All,

How many of you do tire rotation on your E34s? And how often?

Why tire rotation should be done? I hear kind of mixed opinions on tire rotation. Some say on a BMW one should never do tire rotation; is it true?

Thanks
Arun

bfd
02-06-2007, 02:29 PM
"Officially," BMW says DO NOT rotate. However, one BMW independent that I use to go does it. What they do is rotate in an X-cross pattern for asymetrical tires. Note, if you have unidirectional, then you can't rotate.

spyrot1
02-06-2007, 02:30 PM
BMW owners manual states that you should not rotate the tires on a E34, at least not on the 1995 models...

But I guess you can do whatever you like

Alpinewhite
02-06-2007, 02:59 PM
What is the benefit of tire rotation? There should be some solid benefit to go against owners manual. Like changing oil every 3K miles.

Thanks
Arun

Ross
02-06-2007, 03:02 PM
Every other oil change, Fronts to rear.

Ross
02-06-2007, 03:04 PM
There is nothing in the owners manual that states not to rotate tires, unless your car has different size f/r.
It's done to even out tire wear. Fronts experience more cornering loads so wear more to the edges.

spyrot1
02-06-2007, 03:14 PM
There is nothing in the owners manual that states not to rotate tires, unless your car has different size f/r.
It's done to even out tire wear. Fronts experience more cornering loads so wear more to the edges.

Actually the owners manual specifically states that you should not rotate the tires due to the nature of the suspension. Whether or not that is a good idea is a different question. But yes BMW in all their infinite knowledge do not want you to rotate the tires on an E34.

I can scan in the precise page if you want...

s_ribbens
02-06-2007, 03:40 PM
It does specify to NOT rotate tires. This is because of uneven camber wear between the front and rear tires.

Personally, I don't. That's simply because I have a staggered set up. If I didn't, I would rotate.

Zeuk in Oz
02-06-2007, 03:45 PM
I rotate front to rear half way through tyre life, or threreabouts. Plus re-balance +/- wheel alignment.

I think it is not a good idea to change the rotational direction of a tyre - eg moving a tyre from Left front to Right front where it would be going backwards.

s_ribbens
02-06-2007, 03:55 PM
If it's a directional tire, then yes. Otherwise, it really doesn't matter.

Ross
02-06-2007, 04:17 PM
You're right! I'll be dipped in ****.
"Tire tread wear on the front wheels tends(for design reasons)to be slightly more rapid on the outer shoulders of the tire, whereas on the the rear wheels it is concentrated more on the inner shoulders and the center of the tread. For this rason(sic), the best and most consistant roadholding and grip are obtained if the tires are not interchanged between the front and rear wheels, although overall tire life may then be slightly reduced."
Phukem I'm gonna rotate mine.
Design reasons, phhhht. How about some camber adjustment Fritz?

Paul in NZ
02-07-2007, 03:41 AM
yes rotate he more often you rotate the more even the wear,i think the fronts woud wear out first because the outsides would be bald whilst the middle inner would still be good(maybe 2-3mm).the rears seem to wear more evenly but do tend to wear the insides more.My previous tyres 255/40/17 had gone down to the steel/canvas on the very inside(rears) whilst the rest was still very good,may have been some other damage tho....this is with mtech suspension

Russell
02-07-2007, 05:58 AM
I rotate/balance every 5-6,000 miles and get excellent tire life. 50,000 on current tires and 6.5/32 tread left. I do not know if my rotaion is front to rear or switches side. Will find out next time I have rotation done..

However, I do have a bit of wander. Anyone think tire rotaion contributes? BTW, in the last year or so new front struts and upper control arms.

bsell
02-08-2007, 12:56 PM
If it's a directional tire, then yes. Otherwise, it really doesn't matter.

There used to be talk of how changing the rotation direction of a tire loosens the belt from the rest of the tire (internally). Supposedly, this took place with the early radial tires. (Could that have been started by the bias tire guys?;) )

Anyhoo, it's been said that this problem has been rectified and as long as the tread pattern is not unidirectional, reversing the rotation direction of the tire is no big deal.

Zeuk in Oz
02-08-2007, 03:47 PM
There used to be talk of how changing the rotation direction of a tire loosens the belt from the rest of the tire (internally). Supposedly, this took place with the early radial tires. (Could that have been started by the bias tire guys?;) )

Anyhoo, it's been said that this problem has been rectified and as long as the tread pattern is not unidirectional, reversing the rotation direction of the tire is no big deal.
My understanding is that reversing the tyre rotation can accelerate tyre wear as it has to bed in in the opposite direction, if that makes any sense.

Therefore I tend to keep the rotation to between front & rear on the same side.

I do not suggest there are any safety issues with reversing a tyre's direction.