PDA

View Full Version : Replaced fuel filter, found fuel leak

billb
02-06-2007, 09:05 AM
Sunday, prior to the Stuporbowl, I decided to change the fuel filter on the 525. I backed the car out of the garage a bit to let the gas drip onto the driveway, not into my garage. Jacked up the right rear, put a stand under it, got my little socket set, and my new creeper, and set to work. Started to remove the 10mm filter-holding bolt, and started smelling gas. I noticed that the line exiting the filter was wet where the rubber met the hardline. Who knows for how long...

I tightened it up and the leak subsided. It must have been leaking there for a while if it only took a little nudge with the car off for it to leak that much. Installed the new filter and buttoned it all up. It's been about 25k since I replaced it last. I love how easy it is to replace filters on these cars. Also did the microfilter the same day, took about 10 minutes this time.

John B.
02-06-2007, 09:17 AM
It's even easier when you can stand under the car! I'll be changing the Microfilter in our 95 525iT this weekend. Haven't done one before; any tips or just follow the Bentley manual?

Rus
02-06-2007, 09:40 AM
I would consider replacing the rubber lines around the filter. Mine started leaking after I change my filter. They simply became too hard and would not seal on the new filter. Just my $.02

billb
02-06-2007, 09:46 AM
It's even easier when you can stand under the car! I'll be changing the Microfilter in our 95 525iT this weekend. Haven't done one before; any tips or just follow the Bentley manual?

...or clamp the lines before and after. As it was for me, I just let 'em drip. 10mm socket, and I believe 6mm socket for the hose clamps.

billb
02-06-2007, 09:47 AM
:p

I would consider replacing the rubber lines around the filter. Mine started leaking after I change my filter. They simply became too hard and would not seal on the new filter. Just my $.02

madjeff
02-06-2007, 09:52 AM
I'm getting ready to change mine this week and was thinking of replacing the lines as well since i'll be under the car anyway. Any idea what size and how much length I need before I crawl under there?

fin
02-06-2007, 09:52 AM
Having burnt a car up due to a leaking rubber hose, I would politely suggest changing out the hose. Especially if it is as accessible as you say.

Cheers,

Fin

markus
02-06-2007, 10:56 AM
id recomend new hose clamps too. the ones on my 540 were POS.

John B.
02-06-2007, 11:21 AM
...or clamp the lines before and after. As it was for me, I just let 'em drip. 10mm socket, and I believe 6mm socket for the hose clamps.

Bill - I was asking about changing the Microfilter not the fuel filter.

Rus
02-06-2007, 11:25 AM
I'm getting ready to change mine this week and was thinking of replacing the lines as well since i'll be under the car anyway. Any idea what size and how much length I need before I crawl under there?

The hose size is 8mm or 5/16". It took me 9 feet of hose to replace every piece of hose from the pickup in the tank to the FPR in the engine bay. Make sure you get FI fuel hose and not regular carb hose (rated up to 30 psi I believe). Also, purchase FI fuel hose clamps as they will not crush the hose as much as the regular screw clamps will. Hope this helps.

Bill R.
02-06-2007, 11:29 AM
John, here is an old link that Neil Despande had posted a long time ago, its no longer on the web but the wayback machine still has it here (http://web.archive.org/web/20020223152743/http://216.97.77.38/HTMLFiles/Menu3/Menu38/MicrofilterR&R.htm)
It takes a while for the pics to load from the wayback machine so be patient.
Its one of the better writeups around for changing the pollen filter.

madjeff
02-06-2007, 11:38 AM
The hose size is 8mm or 5/16". It took me 9 feet of hose to replace every piece of hose from the pickup in the tank to the FPR in the engine bay. Make sure you get FI fuel hose and not regular carb hose (rated up to 30 psi I believe). Also, purchase FI fuel hose clamps as they will not crush the hose as much as the regular screw clamps will. Hope this helps.
Thanks for the info! I'll grab some today and redo the whole thing this week.

John B.
02-06-2007, 11:51 AM
John, here is an old link that Neil Despande had posted a long time ago, its no longer on the web but the wayback machine still has it here (http://web.archive.org/web/20020223152743/http://216.97.77.38/HTMLFiles/Menu3/Menu38/MicrofilterR&R.htm)
It takes a while for the pics to load from the wayback machine so be patient.
Its one of the better writeups around for changing the pollen filter.

Very nice write up/pics!! Thanks for the link.

billb
02-06-2007, 12:41 PM

Simple to do. I use the same procedure Bill R. references. Works like a champ.