PDA

View Full Version : Hooking Ruts!!!

Spasso
02-05-2007, 11:36 PM
My 328 drives great, no slop in the wheel, no wandering and it stops straight with the hands off the wheel, corners great BUT! when it catches a rut in the freeway it will change lanes faster than Britney changes boy friends.

What is the most common cause/failure on this suspension design to be so sensitive to the ruts in the freeway but no where else?

I know what sloppy ball joints feel like and play in a steering rack so....?

I've been to RealOEM so I can see a number of possibilities, just need to be steered in the right direction.

Thanks, DJ

winfred
02-06-2007, 08:34 AM
bad alignment will make them skittish, busted control arm bushings can do it but you'd be hearing them bang when you tap the brakes, **** tires can do it but theres usually other simptoms (reversing the direction during rotation can screw with it bad). theres only one front alignment setting (toe) but it's amazing how many shops get it so wrong, seen some cars that you could see they were wrong from across the parking lot

Spasso
02-06-2007, 04:31 PM
theres only one front alignment setting (toe) but it's amazing how many shops get it so wrong, seen some cars that you could see they were wrong from across the parking lot
Around here finding a good alignment shop, especially for something like a Bimmer, is a crapshoot.
It's close to needing new front tires, Kumho's on there now that sound like Dodge Dually tires. Maybe I'll do those first then hunt for a good front end evaluation.

Spasso
02-13-2007, 05:13 PM
PROBLEM SOLVED!!
I pulled the worn out Kumhos off and had some Falken ZE512's installed to match the set already on the rear.

Drives like a new car. NO TRAMLINING!!!

I think the Kumhos had spent some time on the rear of this car or on another car causing biased wear patterns that wouldn't work on the front of my 328.

Glad I delayed the order on all of the new front end parts I was going to buy.
I'll run 10k on these and see what the tread wear gauge says for wear pattern.

In the mean time I will schedule an alignment anyway.

BimmerMan43
02-15-2007, 10:41 AM
Glad it was just the tires that was the problem...

Spasso
02-15-2007, 03:43 PM
Glad it was just the tires that was the problem...Yeah, me too. I would rather spend the money on other improvements