PDA

View Full Version : A few general cold weather questions.

bbig119
02-05-2007, 08:17 PM
This is my first winter with the car and I've got a few questions.

First this very cold morning and one or two recent others like it, I've noticed that the clutch when I start the car feels sluggish, like the fluid is gelatin like. This kinda makes sense, but should I take any precautions like allowing it to warm up before driving? It hasn't impacted driving so far, but I don't want to damage anything.

Second, I've got some salt on the car from the last wintery weather we had. How anal should I be about getting it off? Clearly the sooner off the better, but again, I just don't know how long is too long and I'd like to wait till a day when its a little warmer and I can wash it myself instead of having to go to some automatic place.

Lastly, I've noticed that its much more difficult to shift out of first into second gear when the car is cold. The effect has become more pronounced during winter. Its only difficult so make the shift when the car is motion, so again I'm just curious if this is normal and what if anything I should do about it. Once warmed up, shifting is smooth through all gears.

Thanks,

Bryan

scott540
02-05-2007, 08:31 PM
I can only help you on the last one. I changed to synthetic transmission fluid a few winters back. Made a huge difference. I didn't know they made a '94 6 speed.

Jehu
02-05-2007, 08:34 PM
I have the same conditions in this very cold weather as well as a moaning power steering pump or that's what i assume it is as the moan grows as i turn the wheel till the car is good an warm... For the sticky clutch pedal i just work it a bunch while i'm sitting letting the engine warm up.That has been enough to maintain its usefullness as i begin driving.

bbig119
02-05-2007, 08:49 PM
I can only help you on the last one. I changed to synthetic transmission fluid a few winters back. Made a huge difference. I didn't know they made a '94 6 speed.

They didn't. A PO did the swap a few years back-- excellent work, and I'm the beneficiary. Speaking of swaps, has anyone heard how yaofeng is doing with his manual swap?

525ikicker
02-05-2007, 08:51 PM
i have the same symptoms. my dad says that the hydrulic fluid in the clutch is very thick when the temps are in the teens and colder. so thats prolly the reason why its kinda weird feeling.... and the shifting into gears is because the oil in ur tranny is very cold and kinda sludge like so that could be the reason for "hard shifting". well hope this made sense... i usually let the car run at least 5 min b4 goin anywhere. and if the windchill is below -0 i try n let it warm up longer...

justin

repenttokyo
02-05-2007, 08:54 PM
in cold weather, salt is not terribly bad for your car. When the temperature warms up to near the freezing point, is when the damage can occur. The salt mixes with water and starts to corrode your steel and damage your paint. That is the ideal time to wash the salt off your car.