PDA

View Full Version : Sloppy steering wheel…

Rick L
02-05-2007, 05:21 PM
I noticed more of sloppy steering response recently (that 1inch loose turn in steering wheel). Maybe I noticed it more because I’ve been driving my M3 which has very tight and precise steering response. I believe this is known problem with E34 that was discussed but couldn't find any solution to fix the problem from the old threads. Is there anything I could do to tighten up the steering slop? :(

DaveVoorhis
02-05-2007, 05:41 PM
There's a big nut at the base of the steering column. Tighten it until the telescoping wheel just stops telescoping, then loosen it just enough so the telescoping works again. At that point, you'll have taken the slop out of the column. If there's still slop, it's probably in the steering box or steering linkage.

BillionPa
02-06-2007, 12:54 AM
my slop is around 6", so dont feel so bad

Morgenster
02-06-2007, 06:53 AM
There's a big nut at the base of the steering column. Tighten it until the telescoping wheel just stops telescoping, then loosen it just enough so the telescoping works again. At that point, you'll have taken the slop out of the column. If there's still slop, it's probably in the steering box or steering linkage.

Easy to check without going to all that trouble: just turn the wheel while looking at the steering box. If the flexible joint moves nicely with the steeringwheel and the steering 'pitman arm' coming out of the steering box doesn't the box is the problem (or the pitman arm).
Those steering boxes are hideously expensive IMO I'm wondering if anyone here ever had it replaced with a rebuilt unit and how much it cost?

John B.
02-06-2007, 07:56 AM
There's no need to live with slop in the steering as both the column & the box are adjustable. There is a good write up on removing slop from the steering box here: http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/maintenance/steering/steering_box.htm
Lots of info on doing the column adjustment here in the archives.

Ross
02-06-2007, 08:31 AM
6, (SIX) inches!!? I know some guys underestimate what six inches actually is but are you sure there is really that much slop??
If so get that **** box off the road!

Morgenster
02-06-2007, 09:27 AM
There's no need to live with slop in the steering as both the column & the box are adjustable. There is a good write up on removing slop from the steering box here: http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/maintenance/steering/steering_box.htm
Lots of info on doing the column adjustment here in the archives.

I'm reading some contradicting info on this adjustment thing. The only thing I find to be the same with every comment on it is that no-one knows what it actually adjusts within the box. Is it the wormgear-cylinder clearance? The cylinder-pinion clearance? The tightness of the joint with the pitman arm?
And why does this adjustment lead to stiffer stearing?

Rick L
02-06-2007, 10:02 PM
Thanks for the info. guys... The slop isn't that bad so I could live with it. I don't really noticed it that much unless I drive the M3 first and then this car...

shanek
02-06-2007, 10:12 PM
I would recommend tightening that nut. It makes a big difference. My car only had around 85000 kms on it when I did it. I thouht it was fine but after reading a post here I figured what the hell and tightened it It made a very noticable difference and it only took about 10 or 15 minutes.