PDA

View Full Version : do all E34 have a tendency to freeze their lines?

mzarifkar
02-05-2007, 03:20 PM
This is the second time now that i think i froze my fuel lines, first time it was well deserved as i had very little fuel in it but now it has half a tank (roughly 10 gallons) and upon cranking it will not start ( it turns over fine until battery dies). battery is dead, so is my jumper pack so once that charges i will try again as it warmed up to a much more docile 2 degrees F.
Cold weather sucks!!

but does this happen commonly to everyone? i mean it sucks when the Hyundai's and saturns and just about all other cars make out just fine... where is our brand's superiority?

632 Regal
02-05-2007, 03:25 PM
i havent had that problem and today its a blistery 6F

John B.
02-05-2007, 03:37 PM
If there is no water in the gas the lines can't freeze. Start using drygas or try a different gas station. Last time I had a problem like yours I owned a diesel & had forgot the additive.

repenttokyo
02-05-2007, 03:55 PM
never happens to me, it's -35 C here....

DigitalRelay
02-05-2007, 04:32 PM
It was -9 F when I started my 540i this morning. It sounded a little grumpy for a second, but started within a couple seconds.

Spasso
02-05-2007, 04:43 PM
Use a bottle of "HEET" the next time you put a half tank gas in your car. Do it again the next two tank fulls. You could have gotten a slug of water from one of the gas station tanks

Rick L
02-05-2007, 05:11 PM
This happen to me today morning. It showed 0 degree F when I tried to start. My car wasn't driven for three days so not sure it was do to that or not. I have never had a problem on cold start before. I also had a full tank. Maybe I got a water in somehow from my recent visit to a gas station. I also go to same Shell station so not sure why I had this problem. Only thing I changed is regular grade gas instead of premium grade (I have always used premium until this fill up)... Maybe, I'll stick with premium from now on... ;)

This is the second time now that i think i froze my fuel lines, first time it was well deserved as i had very little fuel in it but now it has half a tank (roughly 10 gallons) and upon cranking it will not start ( it turns over fine until battery dies). battery is dead, so is my jumper pack so once that charges i will try again as it warmed up to a much more docile 2 degrees F.
Cold weather sucks!!

but does this happen commonly to everyone? i mean it sucks when the Hyundai's and saturns and just about all other cars make out just fine... where is our brand's superiority?

BillionPa
02-05-2007, 05:15 PM
my car started (barely) at -11F, after sitting outside for 8 hours, but once it turned over it was ok.

Paul in NZ
02-05-2007, 05:19 PM
just throw in a bottle of methylated spirits (methyl ethyl alcohol?)evey now and then.The alcohol "absorbs" any water and it is sent out the exhaust

Ross
02-05-2007, 05:41 PM
-15F here last night,no prob. You can't freeze unless you have water in the fuel. Once you get it thawed use an additive with alchohol like Heet for a few tanks.
Keeping the tank full leaves less room for humidity in the atmosphere to condense in your tank.
None of this has a thing to do with superior or inferior cars.

Derek A.
02-05-2007, 07:41 PM
The m50 is very susceptible to flooding. The fuel actually washes away the oil from the piston rings and the car doesn't start - in fact it looses its compression. This happens especially if the car was started then recently shut down, like moving it around a driveway.

Alexlind123
02-05-2007, 08:22 PM
Im guessing its something other than freezing fuel lines. I would explain why but im going to wash my car and its already dark and getting colder by the minute.

mzarifkar
02-05-2007, 11:18 PM
The m50 is very susceptible to flooding. The fuel actually washes away the oil from the piston rings and the car doesn't start - in fact it looses its compression. This happens especially if the car was started then recently shut down, like moving it around a driveway.

tell me more...

being a firefighter i torture the poor thing with short run times (every now and then... :( )

With the booster pack attached for cranking power it will turn over, have the occasional fireing but just doesnt seem to get going, i suspect it is not getting gas..

BuckNaked
02-06-2007, 06:16 PM
I know it's the last thing you want to do in zero degrees, but you might want to stick your nose under the hood and see if you smell strong fuel fumes.
I'm not sure how much smell you would get if an injected system floods, though.
I have had issues with the insulation on some wires cracking and causing a short at these temps.
There are other reasons besides fuel lines freezing at these temps.
I am thinking about buying a heating blanket for mine...lol.

Derek A.
02-06-2007, 08:41 PM
1. Pull the plugs.
2. Blow out the cylinders with air - or let them air out for a half an hour
3. Squirt a tablespoon of oil in each cylinder.
4. Put in new plugs
5. Crank it till it fires

632 Regal
02-07-2007, 12:19 AM
here: http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?p=238082#post238082
tell me more...