PDA

View Full Version : OT: HideWindow detected....

George M
04-27-2004, 06:58 PM
by my latest Stinger scan. Did a search and found HideWindow 1.43 on my computer. Read a bit about it on the web and still not sure if this is a trojan and if there is a safe method of removing it. Any computer literate guys out there have a suggestion? Should I remove this ASAP? My sense is this is not a good thing to have and may have been attached to a corrupted freeware file I downloaded which I understand is getting more common...so check your systems if you are interested...you may have it as well. I have just basic freeware on my machine and nothing fancy.
Thanks for any advice,
George

632 Regal
04-27-2004, 07:56 PM
George,
Try Adaware and Spybot to get rid of any spyware programs that can hijack PC's I will send you my link to Mcafee for the virus deal and the other programs you may not have if you like. Freeware sometimes does a job on things and you might not even know until you find one thing awry.
Jeff

George M
04-28-2004, 07:28 AM
Thanks Jeff. Have responded to your e-mail. This board is replete with computer literate members. Anybody know an effective method to remove Hidewindow from an XP OS?
Thanks,
George

Bill R.
04-28-2004, 08:46 AM
manual removal didn't sound too tough me ... here
(http://www.pestpatrol.com/PestInfo/h/hidewindow_1_43.asp)

by my latest Stinger scan. Did a search and found HideWindow 1.43 on my computer. Read a bit about it on the web and still not sure if this is a trojan and if there is a safe method of removing it. Any computer literate guys out there have a suggestion? Should I remove this ASAP? My sense is this is not a good thing to have and may have been attached to a corrupted freeware file I downloaded which I understand is getting more common...so check your systems if you are interested...you may have it as well. I have just basic freeware on my machine and nothing fancy.
Thanks for any advice,
George

George M
04-28-2004, 09:25 AM
Thank you Bill. Saw that on the web as well. Will give that a go.
Appreciate it.
George

rickm
04-28-2004, 09:31 AM
You can also go back to a previous restore point to get rid of this. More @#$@#$@# malware.

George M
04-28-2004, 09:36 AM
Thanks for that tip Rick. Per the site's recommendation, I am establishing a latest restore point prior to proceeding with the Hidewindow removal process as I would like to preserve some of my latest computer files.
George

rickm
04-28-2004, 09:50 AM
I'd also run a virus scan after you restore to make sure it's ok. I've also turned off system restore after cleaning up a system, rebooting, then turning them back on. By getting rid of the old restore points you can get rid of any issues that might be floating around them.

George M
04-28-2004, 09:59 AM
Thanks Rick...will do.
Geo

George M
04-28-2004, 06:46 PM
Success. Finally able to purge the pesky Hidewindow without detriment to my system.
Bill, the utility recommendations per the site you referenced didn't agree with the particular files I needed to remove however Jeff a.k.a. Regal 632 put me in touch with McAfee's VirusScan program which worked like a charm...a very powerful anti-virus software that eclipses McAfee Stinger which only generically identified that I had Hidewindw, not specifically which files were infected and the ability to delete them. Heeded your suggestion Rick and performed a restart and re-ran both VirusScan and Stinger and clean as a whistle.
Special thanks to Jeff for directing me to this program and to all that helped. I can help anybody else with this pest.
George

632 Regal
04-28-2004, 08:46 PM
see im not just an ass, Im a thoughtful ass.