PDA

View Full Version : installing euro smilies...

shrike071
02-05-2007, 08:10 AM
I lucked out and copped a set of Euro smilies off of eBay for $100. They come with the motors and all the sockets. Does anyone sell a wiring kit or are these things pretty simple to retrofit?

zmuff
02-05-2007, 10:55 AM
I just put a set of Bosch Euro smileys on my car and it really wasn't too hard at all. As long as you have the Euro connectors with some wiring still attached, splicing them in is no problem. My city lights are powered from the previously deleted side marker lights. Since your lights have adjuster motors, did you also get the adjuster headlight switch for the instrument panel? Mine don't have that option, so I'm not real familiar with it but I'm pretty sure you need it. I am jealous...those are the ones I wanted. Good luck!

shrike071
02-05-2007, 11:42 AM
Weird... my reply didn't show up the first time... Anyway - no, they didn't come with any wires, but the sockets are there. If I tap into my side markers to power the city lights, will it throw an annoying code? Other than that - I guess I'll be fabbing-up some connectors...

TC535i
02-05-2007, 11:42 AM
I want to wire in some kind of a switch... wouldn't be hard, get a 3-position momentary from Radio Shack or something. Return to the center position, press up to raise and down to lower. Set up a relay off the underhood battery + terminal for power.

Just a project, when I have some free time on my hands... still need to figure out the pinouts for the motor (haven't really looked into it). The set I have with motors isn't on the car yet, so I still have some time to tinker.

TC535i
02-05-2007, 11:44 AM
BTW, what I did (and what a lot of people do) is tap the city light power/ground into the corner marker "parking light" wire (brown for ground, and the white/colored stripe wire, I forget what it is). Then cut the wire before the socket, or put some electrical tape on the bulb on that pin.

This way, your corners only come on to signal a turn, and in front, your city lights come on instead. I prefer the look, and since the system still sees a bulb, you don't get error messages.

DanDombrowski
02-05-2007, 12:26 PM
I wanted to keep a "stock" type bulb connection, but I finally gave up, drilled the housing, and spliced the wires. I never hooked up my city lights, and I haven't even aimed the headlights for that matter.