PDA

View Full Version : Question for Audio Experts

GoldenOne
02-04-2007, 07:47 PM
Hey all,

My roommate has a pair of audiobahn alum 10q subs (rated at 6 ohms) sitting in our game room and I have an extra clarion apx4240 amplifier. According to the specs for the subs, they are DVC @ 6 ohms. The Amplifier is 60W x 4 into 4 ohms or 90W x 4 into 2 ohms. I dont have too much knowledge in audio equipment but can we make this work? Can you make a 4 ohm Amp power a 6 ohm sub without hurting the sub?

TIA

Derek A.
02-04-2007, 10:15 PM
The only time you need to worry about impedance is when you go low. Meaning if you have a 2ohm load and the amp won't do it - the amp will heat up and shut down.

Do you have an enclosure ?

kev535i
02-05-2007, 01:29 AM
yes but probably only be about 30w

hey808
02-05-2007, 10:32 AM
You'll need to wire each sub in parellel (+ to the +, - to the -) to get 3 ohms per sub. Then run the amp in 2-ch mode by bridging channels 1 and 2 to one sub, then bridge 3 and 4 to the other sub. That's the best, if not only, way to run your particular setup.

Tiger
02-05-2007, 11:55 AM
I am assuming your are going to get the enclosure for the subwoofer... you need to verify with manufacturer on what that speaker needs... certain sized enclosure, sealed or ported...

Whether you are going to use both of them at once or just one... that speaker is designed to be used both at the same time. If wired parallel, it will yield 3 ohm... which is kinda high load. 6 ohm speakers are usually used for home speakers.

Your amp, on the other hand... you need to find spec on it... when you do bridging... meaning 4 channels into 2 channels, it will only allow 4 ohm or higher... going lower will mean amp internally melting and die. If you hook up the speaker... one to each channel, then you are fine... But you will have to see if the sound is good... Because the speaker at 6 ohm will draw lower power from amp... may sound a bit weak.

TC535i
02-05-2007, 11:59 AM
You'll need to wire each sub in parellel (+ to the +, - to the -) to get 3 ohms per sub. Then run the amp in 2-ch mode by bridging channels 1 and 2 to one sub, then bridge 3 and 4 to the other sub. That's the best, if not only, way to run your particular setup.
Exactly. Wire the voice coils in parallel to get 3ohm on each speaker, then give them each 2 channels seperately. You'll be fine running 3 ohm, the amp's rated down to 2.

Usually you double the wattage going half the resistance, not sure why your amp goes 60 to 90... whatever. That's how I'd do it, check the amp for how to bridge and run 2 channels instead of 4 (+ wire on one channel, - on the other)

TC535i
02-05-2007, 12:03 PM
btw, check the minimum input for those speakers, that may be too low. Underpowering a sub is worse than overpowering it, but most people cheap out on the amp and don't realize how bad that is.