PDA

View Full Version : Random starting.

simon_wall69
02-04-2007, 04:04 PM
Hi, just bought a 540i E34 from auction. Really impressed with it apart from one annoying problem. Every so often when I go to start it, the car is completely dead; I turn the ignition and all the lights, computer, wipers, stereo, etc come on as normal apart from the engine does and starter motor do nothing at all. I can't even hear the solenoid. There is no immobiliser on the car and I have checked all of the fuses. Twice I have called out recovery only for it to start as normal and the RAC to over no help whatsoever. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

pingu
02-04-2007, 05:46 PM
Does it only happen when the engine is warm?

Kalevera
02-04-2007, 06:38 PM
Check the engine ground (right hand motor mount to frame rail) and then the B+ pole connector in the main electronics box (right hand side of the car, under the hood by the windscreen) -- four philips screws secure the top, B+ pole is red and located in a line of relays between the DME/ABS/Cruise modules. Funky little red/black thing with heavier gauge red wires going to and from it.

632 Regal
02-04-2007, 08:43 PM
inspect the fusable link under the rear seat, they crack and have internal falures which are exactly as you discribe

simon_wall69
02-05-2007, 03:47 AM
Seems to be completely random will have a look under the bonnet over my lunch break!

Many thanks!