PDA

View Full Version : New Door Seals Come Preshrunk!!

John B.
02-03-2007, 01:41 PM
Just finished installing a new drivers door body gasket. The one thats rubber on one side & matches the interior on the other. Started on the bottom rear & by the time I got to the lower front section it was obvious it wasn't going to fit. Ended up cutting it at the seam, bottom center, which left a 1.5" gap after all corners were snug. I'll fill it with a piece from the old one but it would seem that if you can find a matching used one in a junkyard to cut up you're better off going that route.

Maybe my parchment interior is not all that common & this seal has been on the shelf for 10 years but it's something to think about before spending $70 on a new one.

632 Regal
02-03-2007, 02:16 PM
Mine from BMA was not shrunk and I used the old one as a spacer for all the rest. If you cut it at the bottom it dont even need to match.

Just finished installing a new drivers door body gasket. The one thats rubber on one side & matches the interior on the other. Started on the bottom rear & by the time I got to the lower front section it was obvious it wasn't going to fit. Ended up cutting it at the seam, bottom center, which left a 1.5" gap after all corners were snug. I'll fill it with a piece from the old one but it would seem that if you can find a matching used one in a junkyard to cut up you're better off going that route.

Maybe my parchment interior is not all that common & this seal has been on the shelf for 10 years but it's something to think about before spending $70 on a new one.

John B.
02-03-2007, 07:04 PM
Mine from BMA was not shrunk and I used the old one as a spacer for all the rest. If you cut it at the bottom it dont even need to match.

Mine came from BMA also & had to be ordered from Germany so I'm guessing they don't sell too many Parchment colored door seals. Installing new front door gaskets is not something I'd want to do everyday. Getting it to fit the upper rear corner & front near the dash is a real PITA.

632 Regal
02-03-2007, 07:56 PM
mine was parchment, maybe I got the new one and you got some old one...lol
Mine came from BMA also & had to be ordered from Germany so I'm guessing they don't sell too many Parchment colored door seals. Installing new front door gaskets is not something I'd want to do everyday. Getting it to fit the upper rear corner & front near the dash is a real PITA.

mattyb
02-03-2007, 11:15 PM
thanks lads, its something im looking at the moment, my driver side is stuffed.

632 Regal
02-04-2007, 12:26 AM
hey Matty you can cut the seal on the bottom under the cover and spread it to fit and then just screw it back down and it should work. Fast and free.

thanks lads, its something im looking at the moment, my driver side is stuffed.

t_marat
02-04-2007, 04:02 AM
you mean the seal will not meet under the bottom undercover? won't that make more noise?

John B.
02-04-2007, 08:15 AM
hey Matty you can cut the seal on the bottom under the cover and spread it to fit and then just screw it back down and it should work. Fast and free.

Since the plastic cover only goes over the interior part of the seal this will leave a gaping hole in the exterior rubber seal. Ideally you would cut a section out of an old gasket to fill the gap adding some black sealant to the ends of the rubber portion to hide the cuts.

Russell
02-04-2007, 08:30 AM
Do a search. Shogun did a very nice writeup onhow to cut out a section of door gasket and using thin rubber to replace. I think it was on this board.