PDA

View Full Version : m5 diff on e34 m50b25

filip00
02-03-2007, 01:10 PM
would it fit? anybody have experience with it? the m5 diff has 6 screws on all shafts.

thanks

Paul in NZ
02-03-2007, 10:48 PM
its also a big case diff,thhe 540 has the big case dif too,all other E34s have the med case,well the 535s do.....you will have to do something about mountings to fit the diff into your car

filip00
02-04-2007, 11:52 AM
thanks paul.

i just checked the shafts, my diff also has 6 screws on all of them, so i believe it COULD fit. although, i do believe the m5 diff is a itsy bitsy bit bigger, so i will be sure when i take my diff down.

Rigmaster
02-04-2007, 12:32 PM
The problem you will have is the mounting points will not line up. The diff housing is bigger on the M5 diff than the 525i diff.

Probably not worth the hassle IMHO- the correct size diff should not be hard to find.

Bret

filip00
02-04-2007, 12:35 PM
yeah, Bret, i know, but i got this diff for free. now, my friend just told me that it is also possible to just pull the LSD out and fit it into my diff. i will talk with my mechanic about that to see if it's possible.

Anton CH.
02-04-2007, 12:59 PM
yeah, Bret, i know, but i got this diff for free. now, my friend just told me that it is also possible to just pull the LSD out and fit it into my diff. i will talk with my mechanic about that to see if it's possible.
At that price of a full rebuild it may be cheaper just to buy a brand new (fully rebuilt one) that can be speced to your requirements.

GoldenOne
02-04-2007, 01:40 PM
thanks paul.

i just checked the shafts, my diff also has 6 screws on all of them, so i believe it COULD fit. although, i do believe the m5 diff is a itsy bitsy bit bigger, so i will be sure when i take my diff down.
make sure those 6 screws have the same spacing in between, i know mine were different so we had to switch out the half shaft outputs flanges and the driveshaft input flange....