PDA

View Full Version : Slightly OT. 2000 VW Passat touring knocking sound when cruising

Alpinewhite
02-02-2007, 02:59 PM
Hi All,

2000 VW Passat wagon GLS
1.8 ltr turbo
5 speed auto tranny
90K miles

This is my friends car. Its producing a repeating knocking sound when cruising. Frequency of the knock varies according to speed. Any insight on what could be wrong.

Thanks
Arun

CharlesAFerg
02-02-2007, 03:17 PM
Theres one of those down here in Beaverton with no bumpers and a huge intercooler running some crazy boost. It tried to race me once (I wasn't going to ebcause I could see it was some rediculous drag car), and it went up to a hundred in the blink of an eye and was gone, holy hell. He would have been immediately arrested if anyone saw him doing that...

colo525i
02-02-2007, 03:52 PM
Being an auto makes it a bit harder to diagnose (not smart to try to shift to neutral when rolling) Try to see if it knocks under load or coasting. If it is just speed related start checking driveline components. If it is load related, check the plugs /get fresh fuel.

Alpinewhite
02-06-2007, 09:55 AM
Hi All,

We took it to a Stealer. And they diagnosed it as front right wheel bearing. And asking $700 to do the repair. Does it sound reasonable for a VW Passat GLS 2000 touring?

Thanks
Arun

RallyD
02-06-2007, 10:26 AM
seems a bit high.
part is probably about $100, it will need an alignment after the work, bearing needs to be pressed into hub.
+ dealer labor rates are high when compared to indys