PDA

View Full Version : VIRUS WARNING - Update

George M
04-27-2004, 08:21 AM
Gents,
Have been in contact with my Mom in Florida and indeed Micah it is/was
her IP address in question. Stinger just updated its software on their website late yesterday and I had her scan her system this morning with the latest Stinger program and sure enough her computer had the W32/Bagle.Z@MM virus. Stinger deleted it. A couple of other noteworthy comments that those that work in the computer industry may be able to fathom:

- Running a system scan on my computer did not reflect any virii including the Bangle virus....my computer therefore is seemingly uninfected.
Only Stinger callout of note:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost32.exe
Found application HideWindow...could not be repaired.

- My Mom does not communicate with this web site....she drives an Oldsmobile :-)

- I did interact with Bimmer.info over Christmas vacation from her computer in Florida.

- I haven't sent an e-mail to Bill R since Christmas time from Florida or from my computer since return to Michigan if memory serves.

- I have communicated with Don Gale, Scott H, Bruno etc occasionally who are also members of this forum and misc other board members.

Therefore I find it perplexing that my Mom's IP address would show up on virus detection/barrier software unless the Bangle virus was transmitted
over Christmas and lay dormant. Perhaps there are those that understand the insidious nature of this virus and how it can be spun to other users on an e-mail address list without sending an e-mail.

Any further comments or advice is welcome.
If you are running without anti-virus software...as stated earlier, no guarantee, but be sure to visit Stinger's site which has been updated to check for the Bangle.z virus and download the latest Stinger program and scan your computer.

Sorry for the inconvenience this has caused fellow board members and Thanks to Micah and Bill for bringing it to my attention and others.
George