PDA

View Full Version : gettin bored with my 540iA

markus
01-31-2007, 03:24 PM
hey guys. lately i have been notcing i really miss having a 5-speed car. and also the 540i, while being a great car, doesnt seem to be much practical for me. I drive 5 miles each way to work and the gas mileage isnt too great to begin with. Im curious if I sell it how much can I expect? its a 1994 540i in oxford green with a new front steering system, bilstein and eibach setup with new rear mounts. fixed the headrests and replaced the bulbs in the dash cluster. also has the euro clears which i might keep. but anyways the car drives nice and shifts fine once warmed up. it can use new valve cover gaskets and a new intake manifold reseal but other than that its solid. if anyone is interested let me know. has about 126k on it.

bbig119
01-31-2007, 04:01 PM
Weren't you talking about doing a 6 speed swap? If you're just driving 5 miles to work each way, why are you concerned about gas mileage-- if that's all the driving you do in a work week- 50 miles? So that's about 1/8th a tank, 1/4 max. Plus, you won't really get that much better gas mileage if you move to a 525 or 535.

I can't help you on the amount you'll be able to sell it for, although I'm curious what a reasonable price is for it. My guess would be between 5-6k.

Tiger
01-31-2007, 04:02 PM
You won't get much out of it... I am in the same boat as you are. Even with short distance commute... no cars will give you great mileage unless you go into like hybrid or diesel.

The most important question is which car is going to offer you more PROTECTION in case of accident. Not alot of fuel miser cars will do that for you. This is the most important criteria to consider as there are many crazy drivers and things happenings around us.

markus
01-31-2007, 04:19 PM
id like to replace it with an E36 325 or 328.

Jehu
01-31-2007, 11:01 PM
Do you have the HD Bilstiens all around? I was in a BMW indy shop today asking about my shocks and he said they would put Bilstien Heavy Duties in.The guy said they last longer than Sachs but he didn't mention other brands. I am not going to be doing it too soon i don't think but I'd like to be hearing others opinions as i wait.I am not worried about saving money so if there is an undisputed shock for these cars to give you an un matched grip I'd go for it.

markus
01-31-2007, 11:08 PM
i put the sports in mine. im really pleased.

Tiger
01-31-2007, 11:43 PM
Same here... Bilstein last forever. HD is for regular spring... Sport is for lowered. Both is same damping rate... just shorter rod.

Tiger
01-31-2007, 11:44 PM
Oh... I have driven that car too... I'd rather go E46 instead... a much better car all around.