PDA

View Full Version : Lowered cars suck

Anton CH.
01-30-2007, 11:50 PM
Lucky I didn't scrape anything.

CharlesAFerg
01-31-2007, 12:59 AM
Wait, are you seriously that close to the curb? If you're not touching then, I don't see what would keep the front end from touching with you in the car... I'd have to have the feet of an angel getting in my car to keep from popping out my foglights like bulging, gouged eyes. :p
http://www.cyberpunkreview.com/images/totalrecall09.jpg

Incantation
01-31-2007, 01:18 AM
u suck for driving like a woman

Anton CH.
01-31-2007, 01:20 AM
Never parked in the city, eh?

CharlesAFerg
01-31-2007, 01:24 AM

Never parked in the city, eh?

Oh god here we go...
http://www.credit.com/assets/img/pic_manCoveringFace.jpg

Let the enchanting revolt begin.

attack eagle
01-31-2007, 02:09 AM
I'm that low and I have no problems...

But then I'm a former DSM owner and dropped MGB owner... :)

All vehicles where the stoppie/curb is higher than the front of the car stock. Learn to stop 6 inches back. :p

Anton CH.
01-31-2007, 03:10 AM
I am actually really surprised that I didn't scrape, it must have been a 1mm gap or something. But I rather risk scraping a bit on the front than someone taking the whole rear bumper out.

Hehe, even speedbumps are DSM's worst nightmare.

632 Regal
01-31-2007, 03:28 AM
my first experience was to hear a scrape sound and back up only to discover a need to reinstall everything attached... I stay at least 6 inches back as suggested

Nick.Hay
01-31-2007, 03:36 AM
**** that wagon is sexy man...

attack eagle
01-31-2007, 03:41 AM
I am actually really surprised that I didn't scrape, it must have been a 1mm gap or something. But I rather risk scraping a bit on the front than someone taking the whole rear bumper out.

Hehe, even speedbumps are DSM's worst nightmare.

Speedbumps arent a problem at all on a stock or 1" lowered DSM, but my mom still managed to rip the nose on my stock AWD backing off a stoppie.
Now those common NT/FWD idiots who insist on using 2+ inch springs are tools with no suspension travel left at all deserve it.

My lowest car ever was my 74 MGB roadster, 1.3" ground clearance after i put springs on it... Drive over a Speedbump? NO way. Not unless you wanted to drag like a minitruck!

remember you can stop 6 inches short and take a look at how much room is left so you don't go over.

*DANG* that wagon is sexy man... :)

Thanks, there are a some actual nice shots of it floating around on the web... especially here and on my Bf.C introductory post.

SC David
01-31-2007, 03:52 AM
It's tough here in the city. In lots of situations, you need to pull your car all the way into compact spots if you don't want to get a ticket or have your car get sideswiped. I've wanted to put a Reiger lip on my car for a while now, but I just know it would be torn off in the first week from a curb, driveway, or bad pothole. I scrape my front bumper on enough stuff as is, and even have to angle my car going up some of the hills (particularly in Pac Heights) to keep from scraping, which isn't fun when there is lots of traffic. I feel your pain :)

But, then again nothing feels better than being the first car in line to take those sweeping curves through Golden Gate park on 19th Ave -> Park Presidio at 65mph!

Hypr5
01-31-2007, 04:02 AM
It's tough here in the city. In lots of situations, you need to pull your car all the way into compact spots if you don't want to get a ticket or have your car get sideswiped. I've wanted to put a Reiger lip on my car for a while now, but I just know it would be torn off in the first week from a curb, driveway, or bad pothole. I scrape my front bumper on enough stuff as is, and even have to angle my car going up some of the hills (particularly in Pac Heights) to keep from scraping, which isn't fun when there is lots of traffic. I feel your pain :)

But, then again nothing feels better than being the first car in line to take those sweeping curves through Golden Gate park on 19th Ave -> Park Presidio at 65mph!

Driving my 540 on coilovers on the lowest setting in SF (which is a lot lately) is absolutely miserable... I have about 2.25" clearance from the ground and engine's plastic scrape plate. - If I'm steering and I hit some of those bumps - tire meets fender. I hate it... but you learn to drive around it all :p

The high flow cats also come in contact with speed bumps even if I come to a stop and just barely creep over them. I often have to back off of them and find an alternate route. lol.

Paul in NZ
01-31-2007, 04:38 AM
thts why mine is going to stay "mtech height" low enough for the handling benefits high enough to miss just about everything!

Booster
01-31-2007, 07:04 AM
Is it against the Laws there to back into a park space ? I know it is illegal in alot of states due to towing regs.:(
A friend of mine took a gas powered concrete saw to the two HUGE speedbumps at his workplace parking lot to notch the area on the bump where his low car couldn't pass.They had only been in place a week too ! lol.What a way to spend time at work on a Sunday...lol.
.............V'

brick8
01-31-2007, 09:30 AM
Around here they call them "speed humps".

RallyD
01-31-2007, 10:04 AM
where I work the blonde females in white SUV's treat them as speed jumps, barely lifting for me as I risk my life in the crosswalk gauntlet.

lowered cars are a compromise, i wouldn't say they suck. I get much more pleasure from driving it that I do parking it.

repenttokyo
01-31-2007, 10:46 AM
I feel your lowered pain.

Here's how low my last car was:

repenttokyo
01-31-2007, 10:46 AM
I had full ride height control but at the same time, you still have to be very aware of your surroundings.

filip00
01-31-2007, 11:10 AM
wow, big effin deal...i park like that all the time. infact, i scraped that little thing a few times, no damage done,it's just scraped underneath.

wow.

Incantation
01-31-2007, 04:23 PM
i live in the heart of downtown. being careful is a labour of love

Blitzkrieg Bob
01-31-2007, 04:44 PM

over the curb in the drive way.

I would hear the ass end drag as she pulled out.

I had to teach her to go at an angle.

Anton CH.
01-31-2007, 05:10 PM

Woah, you got some balls to do that corner at 65. Carefull on the 2nd one, I think its rated for 25. I saw a mustang eat one there.

markus
01-31-2007, 08:56 PM
u think thats bad? u shoulda saw my M3 with H&R springs on it.

Venus4NU
01-31-2007, 09:51 PM
Honestly, this is a true story. When my husband parked our mini-van at the bank he pulled up a little to far and the bumper scrapped on the concrete *thingy* at the front of the parking stall. When he left it completely tore one half of it off. He had to use duct tape to secure it so he could drive home. No joke!!!! It's not like he raced out of their without thinking. It must have caught just right and ripped it right off. Now we both make sure we have a 6 inch cushion.

Evan
01-31-2007, 10:34 PM
man i miss san francisco.. i'm comin back

swenpro
02-01-2007, 12:05 AM
Honestly, this is a true story. When my husband parked our mini-van at the bank he pulled up a little to far and the bumper scrapped on the concrete *thingy* at the front of the parking stall. When he left it completely tore one half of it off. He had to use duct tape to secure it so he could drive home. No joke!!!! It's not like he raced out of their without thinking. It must have caught just right and ripped it right off. Now we both make sure we have a 6 inch cushion.

This reminds me of when my dad was driving a Hummer H2 downtown Chicago to a business meeting, and he went to the parking garage at the Hancock building. He asked the attendant if he would clear height-wise in the garage, and the man said, sure, I have H2s come in here every day.

So Dad pulls forward slowly, and as he goes beneath the concrete beam, SCRAAAAAAAAPE! The attendant was so horrified he jumped up and hit his own head on the concrete beam! As they then took a closer look, however, they found that the beam was at just the perfect height that it had merely pushed the adjustable roof rack back, no damage done. I bet that guy had a sore head in the morning :p

liquidtiger720
02-01-2007, 01:03 AM
Woah, you got some balls to do that corner at 65. Carefull on the 2nd one, I think its rated for 25. I saw a mustang eat one there.

Agreeed.

There use to be a cop that hid on the side of the road (closer to the second turn) to catch speed demons like you! haha.

SC David
02-01-2007, 01:17 AM
Agreeed.

There use to be a cop that hid on the side of the road (closer to the second turn) to catch speed demons like you! haha.Motorcycle cop? There is no shoulder there for them to hang out on...plus cops here don't seem to care about much of anything. But then again the only time I've ever been pulled over was after that Fort Point meet when a motorcycle cop saw me put one tire over the yellow to pass some trucks that were taking their time turning. I didn't even get asked for my license or anything, he just said to "watch it".

But yeah, that second turn is pretty gnarly since there is the stoplight on Fulton right at the end, which seems to be red EVERY time I go by there. The other good twisties are by Lake Merced which are always fun after you've been going 35mph for the timed lights on Sunset.

Anton CH.
02-01-2007, 01:30 AM
Agreeed.

There use to be a cop that hid on the side of the road (closer to the second turn) to catch speed demons like you! haha.

You know what, I keep on hearing about this cop hiding out there but I could never actually spot him. I hear stories of him hiding out in the park on on the way 19th->25th or something. Where the hell is he?

liquidtiger720
02-01-2007, 11:56 AM
Patrol car.

If you take a look at the beggining of the second turn, you'll see an open area for pedestrians, bikers, etc...There is no shoulder, but there is enough room for his car to go into there on top of the dirt/grass field or walkway. You'll also see the tracks his car has left behind coming from the area onto park presideo/19th (the second turn).

I've seen him multiple times. I thought he was about to pull me over once (since I saw him come out of his spot, light it up, and cut off traffic right behind me). He definelty pulls over a lot of people.

Lately, I havent seen him though.

Oh yea, be careful in the mornings on the first turn. Haha. I thought it was clear all the way through on the right line, but BAM...traffic, blind curves FTL.

Gayle
02-02-2007, 01:06 AM

Tisk. Tisk. Such sexist thinking Inc. ARound my house it would be 'u suck for driving like a man.

I will let my husband drive my 535 but he is not authorized to park it under any circumstance since he put curb rash on one of my pristine o.e. m pars. This year he also tore the front bumper off his suv on a curb like the one pictured.

I cut him some slack though cause I understand how challenged men are when it comes to things like that. It is almost as hard for men as verbal communication.

Jon K
02-02-2007, 01:11 AM
You guys don't know what a low car is...

Try driving these from PA to MD and DC.....

http://blowneuroz.com/ptgallery/Corrado%20shoot/B20.jpg

http://blowneuroz.com/ptgallery/Corrado%20shoot/B11.jpg

And honest to god, these are in their "raised" modes.

My downpipe hits speed bumps all the time

attack eagle
02-02-2007, 02:13 AM
LOL I remember those days Jon. My downpipe would hit the ground if I slammed on the brakes on the MGB.

And IN the mazda I had to drive around those little gas cap covers at the gas station or i'd get stuck...

Gayle: keep trying sweetie.

repenttokyo
02-02-2007, 10:07 AM
You guys don't know what a low car is...

oh no?

Macv
02-02-2007, 10:31 AM
Our camaro is laying on its body at the moment :) (It's a parts car)

SC David
02-02-2007, 05:27 PM
Patrol car.

If you take a look at the beggining of the second turn, you'll see an open area for pedestrians, bikers, etc...There is no shoulder, but there is enough room for his car to go into there on top of the dirt/grass field or walkway. You'll also see the tracks his car has left behind coming from the area onto park presideo/19th (the second turn).

I've seen him multiple times. I thought he was about to pull me over once (since I saw him come out of his spot, light it up, and cut off traffic right behind me). He definelty pulls over a lot of people.

Lately, I havent seen him though.

Oh yea, be careful in the mornings on the first turn. Haha. I thought it was clear all the way through on the right line, but BAM...traffic, blind curves FTL.I looked for it this morning, but didn't see a spot without a curb. We're talking about the northbound side, right? I'll definitely keep an eye out around there now though, thanks for the warning :)

After all this discussion, I feel inclined to take some pictures of my everyday troubles, and my car really isn't THAT low. I think I'll drag my camera around this weekend, and document all the scraping that occurs. I literally cannot get in my driveway going forwards, and to get in backwards I scrape if I don't angle it slightly. The point of all of this is that I don't have much to complain about. My car makes it just about everywhere, but to lower your car to a point of disability is beyond me, unless of course you are slamming it for track use only.

Incantation
02-03-2007, 03:19 PM
fine.. he sucks for driving like your husband then

indierthanthou
02-03-2007, 06:16 PM
you dropped an mgb? bro, those were already so low the only way to get em any lower would be to dig a hole underneath them! lol

John B.
02-03-2007, 07:28 PM
you dropped an mgb? bro, those were already so low the only way to get em any lower would be to dig a hole underneath them! lol

Not all of them. The last few years they jacked them up, dropped a carb & added those really ugly bumpers.

John B.
02-03-2007, 07:30 PM
Tisk. Tisk. Such sexist thinking Inc. ARound my house it would be 'u suck for driving like a man.

I will let my husband drive my 535 but he is not authorized to park it under any circumstance since he put curb rash on one of my pristine o.e. m pars. This year he also tore the front bumper off his suv on a curb like the one pictured.

I cut him some slack though cause I understand how challenged men are when it comes to things like that. It is almost as hard for men as verbal communication.

I'm not that bad but I have to admit that my wife is much better at backing into a tight spot then I am.