PDA

View Full Version : M30 535ia cat. converter replacement question

Dash01
01-30-2007, 08:45 PM
What works well as a plug and play replacement of the stock OEM catalytic converter for the M30 535ia engine?

Obviously, another factory OEM unit would work, but is quite expensive.

How about an aftermarket unit that would splice into the stock OEM stainless pipes, which could be cut to remove the old OEM cat.?

For example, how are Magnaflow or other stainless steel units, in terms of noise and durability?

Phatty5BMW
01-30-2007, 08:49 PM
I don't know about that one but everyone I know uses aftermarket and magnaflow seems to be the most popular.. model # and that I can't quote on..

genphreak
01-31-2007, 08:38 AM
What works well as a plug and play replacement of the stock OEM catalytic converter for the M30 535ia engine?

How about an aftermarket unit that would splice into the stock OEM stainless pipes, which could be cut to remove the old OEM cat.?

For example, how are Magnaflow or other stainless steel units, in terms of noise and durability?

NOthing beats stock BMW. I'd get a 2nd hand replacement that looks good. E32 + E34 (535/735) are the same. Be careful removing engine pipes, it is easy to twist and break the flexible link on the manifold. You so DON'T want to break that.... :) Nick

ruftek
01-31-2007, 11:10 AM

I recently installed a universal fit Magnaflow mirror finish catalytic converter on my 1990 M20, and very happy. It cost me $200 at a muffler shop and big improvement in power and sound, but not to noisey..It was money will spent..Go to the magnaflow website for application guide..best purchase I ever made..