PDA

View Full Version : What kind of Touring would you buy?

Kalevera
01-30-2007, 08:03 PM
Alright guys --

Let's assume you could buy ANY well sorted Touring you wanted, money no object, except for the M5, Alpina and iX variants (and basically any Euro version).

From the list of possible conversions below, which would be yours?

A 540iT/6, with a stock 282hp M60B40

A 535iT/5

A 525/5 with an S50/2

A 525/5 or 6 with an S54

A 525/5 with a sorted turbo, putting around 300hp on the wheels

Also, why would you buy that particular car over any of the others?

Blitzkrieg Bob
01-30-2007, 08:06 PM
I have a 525 M50TU, but a 5 speed would be fun.

stilljester
01-30-2007, 08:23 PM
If I had to pick from that list I'd say 525/5 with a turbo setup. Reason: I like to tinker and there something to be said for a DIY project.

If I was free to pick something off that list I'd install a M51 engine. That's my plan anyways.

shanek
01-30-2007, 08:24 PM
A 525/5 or 6 with an S54 would be my first choice, but I would be very happy with any of the above.

Spasso
01-31-2007, 12:28 AM
I really enjoy my Dad's E34 530iT although it could use a bit more power for the weight of the car, it makes up for it in the 25+ miles per gallon. I would have to go for the well sorted 525 with turbo and 5 speed but only if it had an adjustable waste gate.

If money were no object I would install a turboed 328 (dual vanos) engine with a 6 speed.

tclucas
01-31-2007, 12:51 AM
When I bought my 1995 525 several years ago I asked my mechanic what I should get and he steared me towards a 525. They have been making that motor for years. He mentioned that if I got an early 8 I would be seeing him much more often. He was right my car has been relativly worry free. Other than the fact that BMW's are notoriuos for having cooling problems. Nothing you could not fix yourself.

Nick.Hay
01-31-2007, 01:13 AM
I'd have to say the 525 manual with the sorted turbo...

And by sorted you mean reliability +, like as tho it was put there in the factory, of course!!

attack eagle
01-31-2007, 02:13 AM
Alright guys --

From the list of possible conversions below, which would be yours?

A 525/5 with a sorted turbo, putting around 300hp on the wheels

Also, why would you buy that particular car over any of the others?

more torque than any other variant listed, and as good gas mileage on the freeway.

Paul in NZ
01-31-2007, 02:44 AM
kinda biased poll aint it..how come all the modded engines are 2.5's
I would love a 4 valve head and effecient FI system in a LPT for the M30,along with a six speed .second choice woud be a 540 iT/6 but it would have to be an individual and perfect.

Ross
01-31-2007, 09:23 AM
The 540/6. Because there's replacement for displacement. Didn't know it was available with manual.
Mr. Projects car a close second.

brick8
01-31-2007, 09:27 AM
the 525iT is a nice car. Would swap it any day for one with a 5 speed, however.

RallyD
01-31-2007, 10:50 AM
540/6 with centrifugal blower

Kalevera
01-31-2007, 11:50 AM
Hi Paul,

You make a good point. I suppose the bias in modded engines is that it's easier to start out with a 525iT in the US. I mean, you can get hotter cams and various other upgrades for S50/2/4 motors, so in theory they could be modded as well, and you'd have a four valve head and a good starting point for a more efficient FI system.

Matt P
01-31-2007, 02:58 PM
et's assume you could buy ANY well sorted Touring you wanted, money no object, except for the M5,

But... But... But...

Awww.... Make an execption for me would ya?

--------------------------------------------
More seriously, i'd probably go with the 540iT for the naturally asperated torque.

nizmainiac
01-31-2007, 03:27 PM
if money is no object then why can't i buy the alpina one, there's a nice metallic (can't remember the name of the colour) red one around here with tan leather interior, its lush:)

granit_silber
01-31-2007, 05:08 PM
I suppose I go with the 525/5 with an s50.

Mainly because I'm comfortable with the M50 engine.

-ashley

Mr Project
01-31-2007, 10:02 PM
Well, I mean, isn't it obvious? :D

I would like to have a turbo on my M30, though. More torque and HP than the S38, much lower ownership costs and no $10k head rebuilds. Easier to service and less expensive than the M60, while making as much power and torque as a supercharged version.

paul p (chi-town)
01-31-2007, 11:43 PM
But... But... But...
Awww.... Make an execption for me would ya?
-------------------------------------------
More seriously, i'd probably go with the 540iT for the naturally asperated torque.I’m with Matt seriously, if you are going to allow e34 S52/6sp, M60B40/6 or even a well sorted turbo M50 you might as well go M5T.
That would be my vote any day of the week..
Still a pretty penny tho.
Remember, some of the 535Ts we have runnin round were put together on the way cheap. Most of the labor was DIY. Ben T probably put his together from stuff he just had lying round. ScottH had the M30 engine from his old 535, all the tranny bits too. But, he’s an anal sort (oh and had to rebuild his engine), Scott’s could be duplicated for less than $2K. Maybe closer to 1 plus the cost of the chassis. In the same catagory could be an manual swap on a 525 (probably best to use VANOS for low end torque)
To keep this cheap i’d do either of the above or a RWD turbo Nissan SR20 (yeah, yeah, yeah; burn a roundel on my front lawn and call me a philistine ya purists *pthhhht* ). Imported throwaway low mileage jap engines are available day in day out for ~$2K. Can’t say that bout M50+. Maybe M30s are in that catagory, but not for civilians like us (Winfred, BenT.......nother story).

The chassis can make or break ‘cheap’ too. Something that’s mechanically crapped but physically immaculate, a so-called cream puff will take a while to wait for. And what if u don’t like the color (sorry ‘Thor’ was a desperation purchase, i would normally not pimp white).
Something totally beat up may need more than the swap before it’s road worthy.

OTOH if you’re going so far as to buy ‘retail’ and have professional labor, watch out. I could imagine an e34 S52/6sp could be a pricey little sled regardless how much the body cost.
At that point i would spend a few more dinero and just get the euro M.............ready to drive, no fuss no muss.

By including e39 (which really is apples/organges to this crowd), stick from factory really keeps things simple.
CPO 530iTM (or whatever the biggest 6 is) all the way..........in lieu of the aformentioned e34 *smile*.
Have you seen Levinson’s?
Sweeeeet.

”Hang up & Drive!”
94 BMW 530iT&A 130K, ‘Helga’ ( uh....i guess she’s for sale *sniff* )
92 BMW 325i 135K, ‘Rolf’ ( he’s baaaaack *woohoo* Hers *sigh* )
91 Volvo 745T 195K, ‘Thor’ (13 psi, *ungh* 13mpg *ouch* )
93 Datsun NX2000 170K ‘Carla’ ( and thumpin *grin* )
85 Toyo MR2 125K ‘Jerry’ ( was that snow? PARKED! *squint* )
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin

Kalevera
02-01-2007, 12:13 AM
[color=indigo]I’m with Matt seriously, if you are going to allow e34 S52/6sp, M60B40/6 or even a well sorted turbo M50 you might as well go M5T.
That would be my vote any day of the week..
Still a pretty penny tho.

Right, I mean -- when was the last time you saw an M5T for sale in the US, aside from Matt's, let alone for anything less than around 25-30k? Regular 3.8 saloons are 25 grand any day, and there are plenty of them in the US for those with the cash to acquire. Not so with the touring variants.

Remember, some of the 535Ts we have runnin round were put together on the way cheap. Most of the labor was DIY. Ben T probably put his together from stuff he just had lying round. ScottH had the M30 engine from his old 535, all the tranny bits too. But, he’s an anal sort (oh and had to rebuild his engine), Scott’s could be duplicated for less than $2K. Maybe closer to 1 plus the cost of the chassis. In the same catagory could be an manual swap on a 525 (probably best to use VANOS for low end torque)
To keep this cheap i’d do either of the above or a RWD turbo Nissan SR20 (yeah, yeah, yeah; burn a roundel on my front lawn and call me a philistine ya purists *pthhhht* ). Imported throwaway low mileage jap engines are available day in day out for ~$2K. Can’t say that bout M50+. Maybe M30s are in that catagory, but not for civilians like us (Winfred, BenT.......nother story).

I guess I should've explained myself better in the initial post -- cost is irrelevant, to a certain degree.

My interest is in building an attractive and desirable alternative to importing an E34 M5T, at something around the 10-13k price point. I am not sure if that price is realistic at the moment, or if the market for such a car even exists, this is a bit of an experiment. Hence the initiation of this thread.

I'd even consider an M70/4hp-22, or an S70/6 if I can stomach the price. Basically, anything that can be built is an option at the moment, although I already own the (running) chassis.

The Nissan idea is nice, but I'd like to keep it as BMW as possible.

The chassis can make or break ‘cheap’ too. Something that’s mechanically crapped but physically immaculate, a so-called cream puff will take a while to wait for. And what if u don’t like the color (sorry ‘Thor’ was a desperation purchase, i would normally not pimp white).
Something totally beat up may need more than the swap before it’s road worthy.

Almost every used car needs maintenance...let alone a => 12 year old BMW station wagon. Again, cost of parts isn't the issue -- desirability is.

OTOH if you’re going so far as to buy ‘retail’ and have professional labor, watch out. I could imagine an e34 S52/6sp could be a pricey little sled regardless how much the body cost.
At that point i would spend a few more dinero and just get the euro M.............ready to drive, no fuss no muss.

By including e39 (which really is apples/organges to this crowd), stick from factory really keeps things simple.
CPO 530iTM (or whatever the biggest 6 is) all the way..........in lieu of the aformentioned e34 *smile*.

Paul, you should know how I feel about E39s. And you'd be surprised by how many issues I've seen on supposedly "pristine" CPO cars.

Have you seen Levinson’s?
Sweeeeet.

Haha -- I've wrenched it.

mikeythekidd
02-04-2007, 01:52 PM
Well, I mean, isn't it obvious? :D

I would like to have a turbo on my M30, though. More torque and HP than the S38, much lower ownership costs and no $10k head rebuilds. Easier to service and less expensive than the M60, while making as much power and torque as a supercharged version.
Nice Touring! How do you like that Eibach/Koni setup?

ILoveMPower
02-05-2007, 09:17 AM
M30

or better yet, TCD m30