PDA

View Full Version : gas odor

i_willnotlose
01-30-2007, 04:28 AM
I'm getting a bad gas odor when my 1995 BMW 525i sits after driving. It is seriously strong. It goes away once I begin driving. Can anyone diagnose or assist?

John B.
01-30-2007, 09:52 AM
My 535i did this when I first got it. When I parked the smell was so strong I thought for sure there would be a puddle of gas under the car. Turned out to be the old fuel lines feeding the injector rail. They dry up & shrink with age & the factory clamps can't compensate. You won't see a puddle but the ends of the hose will be wet or greasy. A few pieces of new line & U.S. style f.i. hose clamps fixed the problem.

califblue
01-30-2007, 11:09 AM
Hey John B, my 92' 535i is starting to do that on start up.I will check out the fule line( I had already check the pump nad filter)

shrike071
01-30-2007, 02:26 PM
Almost guarantee that it's the little rubber sections of your fuel rail. Mine did the same thing right after I bought it. I could only see the leak once I removed the covers and when the engine was cold.

Omega
01-30-2007, 02:30 PM
Rubber fuel line onto fuel rail at the front of the engine, under the inlet manifold. You can see it just behind the radiator (looking towards the bulkhead)

Replace with genuine BMW unless you want to keep replacing it every 6 months.

John B.
01-30-2007, 02:46 PM
Rubber fuel line onto fuel rail at the front of the engine, under the inlet manifold. You can see it just behind the radiator (looking towards the bulkhead)

Replace with genuine BMW unless you want to keep replacing it every 6 months.

I've never had any problems with the f.i. line I get at Napa. The lines I replaced 4 years ago are still holding up fine.