PDA

View Full Version : Just bought myself a 525i off UK ebay

cooljules
01-28-2007, 08:13 PM
Ok i couldnt afford a diesel to replace my ugly looking 525i touring but came accross this and won. Ok theres a slight risk of buying it...read the description. I had the same problem in my old 520 ( i belive its the same block aint it, just diff bore n stroke) and i checked the plastic for a metal impellor....ok the car cost me 355quid and 60 quid on a trailer.
its a 98 525i Salloon. in black with a nice set of alloys, i can take the M4 mirrors off my other black un.

your thoughts?

THE SPECIFICATION INCLUDES :

2.5 LITRE (192 BHP) ENGINE, 4 SPEED AUTO BOX (WITH SPORT AND ICE MODES), 17" AC SCHNITZER ALLOY WHEELS WITH 235/45/17 TYRES, METALLIC BLACK PAINT IN GOOD CONDITION, STAINLESS STEEL MIJ PERFORMANCE BACKBOX WITH 6X4 OVAL TAILPIPE, LOWERED 35MM ON EIBACH SPRINGS, INDUCTION KIT (ORIGINAL AIRBOX SUPPLIED), PARTIAL BLACK TINTED WINDOWS, ELECTRIC WINDOWS X 4, ELECTRIC SUNROOF, ELECTRIC MIRRORS, CENTRAL LOCKING, POWER STEERING, CLEAR INDICATORS, CLEAR SIDE REPEATERS, UPGRADED HEADLIGHT BULBS, PARTIALLY TINTED REAR LIGHTS, DRIVER AND PASSENGER ARM RESTS, CLOTH INTERIOR, JVC CD PLAYER/TUNER, FRONT FOG LIGHTS, REAR SPOILER,

I'VE HAD THE CAR FOR NEARLY 9 MONTHS, SINCE BUYING IT, IT HAS HAD A NEW BATTERY, SPARK PLUGS, HT LEADS, AIR FILTER, OIL FILTER AND OIL CHANGE WITH 10w40 CASTROL OIL. IT HAS RECENTLY HAD 2 NEW TYRES. NOTHING HAS EVER GONE WRONG WITH THE CAR IN THE TIME I'VE OWNED IT (EXCEPT 1 THING MENTIONED IN THE BAD POINTS). EVERY SINGLE SWITCH, LIGHT AND ELECTRONIC DEVICE WORKS EXACTLY AS IT SHOULD. TO MY KNOWLEDGE THE CAR HAS NEVER REQUIRED ANY KIND OF WELDING OR MAJOR REPAIR.

I BELIEVE THE CAMBELT WAS LAST CHANGED AT 135K BUT UNFORTUNATELY THE SERVICE HISTORY WAS LOST BEFORE I TOOK POSESSION OF THE CAR DURING A HOUSE MOVE BY THE PREVIOUS OWNER.

**BAD POINTS**

THE MAIN BAD POINT IS THAT AFTER 15 - 20 MINUTES OF THE ENGINE RUNNING OR DRIVING THE COOLANT TEMPERATURE STARTS TO RISE TO MORE THAN IT SHOULD. IF LEFT IT DOES GO TOWARDS THE RED. I HAVE NEVER LET IT GO ANY HIGHER SO AS NOT TO DAMAGE ANYTHING. I HAVE HAD SOME CHECKS DONE AND ITS NOT THE THERMOSTAT, THE WATER HOSES AND RADIATOR ARE NOT BLOCKED AND THE HEADGASKET SEEMS FINE AS THERE IS NO CREAMY STUFF IN THE OIL AND NO OIL IN THE EXPANSION TANK. THE PROBLEM AT THE MOMENT IS UNKNOWN BUT MAY BE A WATER PUMP ISSUE OR SOMETHING SIMILAR...MAYBE EVEN A BASIC AIR LOCK SOMEWHERE.

THERE IS A BIT OF WEAR ON THE DRIVERS SEAT BOLSTER AND ARMREST AS CAN BE EXPECTED IN A HIGH MILEAGE CAR BUT IT HASN'T GOT ANY WORSE SINCE I'VE OWNED IT AND DOESN'T DETRACT FROM THE FEL OF THE CAR.

THERE IS A SMALL PATCH OF RUST ON THE DRIVERS SIDE REAR ARCH AND A PATCH ON THE BOOT LOCK (PICTURED)

THERE ARE A FEW MINOR SCRATHES AND VERY SMALL PARKING DENTS ON THE BODYWORK BUT NOTHING THAT REALLY CATCHES THE EYE. IT IS IN VERY GOOD CONDITION CONSIDERING THE AGE.

THATS ABOUT IT REALLY...EVERYTHING ELSE IS FINE AND IN GOOD WORKING ORDER.

ANY QUESTIONS, I'LL BE MORE THAN HAPPY TO SPEAK TO YOU VIA EMAIL, OR BY PHONE ETC

BEFORE THE PROBLEM THIS CAR WAS AN ABSOLUTE PLEASURE TO DRIVE, AND I'VE HAD PLENTY OF NICE CARS. I KNOW THE PREVIOUS 2 OWNERS OF THIS CAR AND I KNOW IT HAS NEVER BEEN THRASHED OR DRIVEN STUPIDLY WHILE IN THEIR OR MY POSESSION. THE PROBLEM MAY BE A VERY SIMPLE ONE TO FIX BUT DUE TO WORKING RELATIVELY FAR AWAY I DONT HAVE TIME TO FIND OUT FOR MYSELF.

SO IF YOU FANCY AN EVERY DAY EASY TO DRIVE CAR WITH TAX AND MOT OR SOMETHING A BIT MEATY THAT CAN DO MORE THAN KEEP UP WITH THE BIG-BOYS ... THIS COULD BE THE ANSWER. I WILL BE SAD TO SEE IT GO BUT I SIMPLY DONT HAVE THE ROOM FOR IT.

THE WINNING BUYER, I'M SURE WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED. ESPECIALLY IF IT TURNS OUT TO BE A CHEAP REPAIR WHICH IT COULD WELL BE. I'VE DESCRIBED THE CAR TO THE BEST OF MY KNOWLEDGE AND HOPE FOR A SMOOTH TRANSACTION.

I HAVE THE CAR ADVERTISED ELSEWHERE AND RESERVE THE RIGHT TO END THE AUCTION IF IT SELLS BEFORE THE AUCTION ENDS.

PLEASE FEEL FREE TO ASK ANY QUESTIONS OR COME TAKE A CLOSER LOOK

Tiger
01-28-2007, 08:19 PM
Why so cheap? You gone into E39 territory.

cooljules
01-28-2007, 08:25 PM
I think the description put people off with the fault, ok it would have me too, had it not happend within a month of getting mine....

mattyb
01-28-2007, 08:46 PM
98?

cooljules
01-28-2007, 08:49 PM
yeah 92...i had something else on my mind at the time..oops

Also i have never heard of this spring make, any good?
LOWERED 35MM ON EIBACH SPRINGS
and how do i remove the badges at the rear? are they stuck on?
cheers

Tiger
01-28-2007, 08:51 PM
Can't believe so cheap? BTW Steering wheel on wrong side of the car. ;)

cooljules
01-28-2007, 08:58 PM
wrong side of the car? haha where are you from.
Ok i drove my red touring in the deepest parts of E Germany and Poland...and eveyone was looking, but in poland they would laugh at my car.....or look a few times and hold there hands up as if they were holding a wheel. Only trouble i had was trying to overtake cars and trucks on dual carrageways, where i had to half climb over into the passenger seat

misfortune
01-29-2007, 01:03 AM
fan clutch probably. Mine did that forever too.

cooljules
01-29-2007, 01:10 AM
fan clutch probably. Mine did that forever too.

I changed that on the old one, and a metal for plastic impellor, so i will just whip them off the damaged 520i

Sidney Rough-Diamond
01-29-2007, 01:52 PM
You could sell those wheels for more than what you paid for the complete car.Can't be bad

Tiger
01-29-2007, 03:05 PM
USA... LOL... That's an awesome deal on that car you got... The wheels alone is worth that price.

DaveVoorhis
01-29-2007, 03:17 PM
I BELIEVE THE CAMBELT WAS LAST CHANGED AT 135K BUT UNFORTUNATELY THE SERVICE HISTORY WAS LOST BEFORE I TOOK POSESSION OF THE CAR DURING A HOUSE MOVE BY THE PREVIOUS OWNER.
Cambelt? That should have an M50 engine. No cam belt.

tnt525i
01-29-2007, 08:55 PM
Cambelt? That should have an M50 engine. No cam belt.
i believe he said he also changed the HT leads i assume he means the spark plug wires, so that would mean it's an M20 not M50

DaveVoorhis
01-29-2007, 09:12 PM
i believe he said he also changed the HT leads i assume he means the spark plug wires, so that would mean it's an M20 not M50
Yeah, that's odd too. If it's a 92 model year car, it should have an M50. The claimed 192 BHP suggests an M50. AFAIK, the M20 was phased out of the E34 during the 90 model year.

Maybe it's a 90 MY car first registered in 92. A picture of the engine would resolve this.

cooljules
01-30-2007, 12:21 AM
Yeah, that's odd too. If it's a 92 model year car, it should have an M50. The claimed 192 BHP suggests an M50. AFAIK, the M20 was phased out of the E34 during the 90 model year.

Maybe it's a 90 MY car first registered in 92. A picture of the engine would resolve this.

here it is, looks exactly like my 94 and 96's

DaveVoorhis
01-30-2007, 06:48 AM
That's a non-VANOS M50. Hence, no HT leads or cambelt, for sure. Looks like there are no clips to hold in the radiator, either! :D

tnt525i
01-30-2007, 06:18 PM
:D yup thats an m50 for sure, so what's with the changing of the ht leads and the cambelt?:D :D :D

cooljules
01-30-2007, 10:59 PM
USA... LOL... That's an awesome deal on that car you got... The wheels alone is worth that price.

i know, previous days on ebay while looking for a car, some went for more than i paid for the car!