PDA

View Full Version : this is a strange problem

markus
01-26-2007, 03:45 PM
whenever decelerating going downhill at about 40mph my check enigne light will come on but everything is find after that. any ideas?

bbig119
01-26-2007, 03:56 PM
This might be intake leak again. Did it throw any codes?

markus
01-26-2007, 03:59 PM
for some reason the stomp test doesnt work on my car. but im assuming it is vacum related. sometimes it will do this and a trans error program will follow. i dont see why i would have to mess with the intake to do valve cover gaskets tho.

bbig119
01-26-2007, 04:51 PM
you don't. That said, it'll be a hell of alot easier to get the valve covers off if you were to remove the fuel rail and disconnect the wiring loom for the injectors.

If you get that far, the intake is right there.

knowing what I know now about both jobs(I did them both seperately), and if I were in your current position, I'd strongly consider doing both at the same time-- assuming I had the time/money to do it-- but you certainly don't have to.

I spent alot of time trying to figure out how to get the valve covers in and out of the engine. Its tight and the hard lines(especially on the passenger side) are a total PITA. I didn't mess with the the fuel rail or injector harness, but after doing the intake gaskets, having them removed would have made the valve covers much easier-- and you're halfway done the intake job.

632 Regal
01-26-2007, 05:36 PM
yep as said vacume leaks. replace all the gaskets and dont forget the front and rear plate gaskets like I did. Now if I want to replace the front gasket I need to remove all that crap again to get to it. I get CEL lights daily and I dont even think about them during this time of year.

for some reason the stomp test doesnt work on my car. but im assuming it is vacum related. sometimes it will do this and a trans error program will follow. i dont see why i would have to mess with the intake to do valve cover gaskets tho.

BillionPa
01-27-2007, 12:21 AM
http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=30156

markus
01-27-2007, 10:57 AM
so i have to go to the dealer and make them reprogram it?

BillionPa
01-27-2007, 12:58 PM
thats only for the stock software, performance software like the dinan in my car was based off the older software and will still throw a lean mix flag during a 10s coast, not sure about EAT.

they probably wont do it for free since our cars are out of warranty.