PDA

View Full Version : Failed TX Low Speed Emissions - Ideas?

DallasBill
01-26-2007, 02:12 PM
OK... I had a full Inspection II done just last Sept and the oil is clean. Yet, on inspection this morning (fully warm, freeway speeds for 1/2 hour beforehand) the low speed HC is 197 (pass is <117) and the low speed NOx is 1364 (pass is <879)!

High speed numbers were fine, but even those HC & NOx numbers were double last year's pass results -- and I had gone 1.5 yrs since the last tuneup back then! WTF?

Could this be O2 sensor(s), or ??? I also get the cold morning gas smell (but not today), so could that have something to do with it? (I know I need to get those fuel rail hoses checked).

Tiger
01-26-2007, 06:39 PM
It can be 02 sensor... but it is more likey the MAF sensor... Try cleaning the MAF with carburator, brake or MAF cleaner first. Do this with MAF off the car and don't touch anything inside it... only spray. Check air filter too.

I just noticed "SHARKED"... this is also a problem since more fuel is used to give you more power. Put back factory chip to pass emission.

Chris'91'525i
01-26-2007, 09:40 PM
OK... I had a full Inspection II done just last Sept and the oil is clean. Yet, on inspection this morning (fully warm, freeway speeds for 1/2 hour beforehand) the low speed HC is 197 (pass is <117) and the low speed NOx is 1364 (pass is <879)!

High speed numbers were fine, but even those HC & NOx numbers were double last year's pass results -- and I had gone 1.5 yrs since the last tuneup back then! WTF?

Could this be O2 sensor(s), or ??? I also get the cold morning gas smell (but not today), so could that have something to do with it? (I know I need to get those fuel rail hoses checked).

I had very similar numbers as you on my Calif. emissions test.
The Catalytic converter that was installed by the PO, before I bought the car was defective (broke apart internally).
New Cat fixed it.
Do you get a sulfur smell too ? That would indicate a bad Cat.

If you are getting a raw fuel smell from the exhaust, that could fry the cat as well.
Best to get that fixed before a new Cat install, so it doesnt damage it again.

attack eagle
01-27-2007, 05:06 AM
that or just find out who your local extra $25 pass guy is... a local hot rod or honda shop should know :)

I maxxed out the emissions but passed here... the extra $25 was because of the tint and lights. It would have covered that too if needed. Of course El Paso county emissions standards are different than Dallas.
If I run across the paper i'll tell you the exact numbers, but it is very apparent it is running fat, as is the gas mileage (or lack thereof). I'm betting mine is a lazy o2.

IMO< to hell with their emissions regulations when they let thousands and thousands of non-emissions complying Mexican registered cars run around congesting everything and spewing pollutants, and then complain when my slightly dirty but insured and well maintained car doesn't meet some arbitrary number on an sniffer test that ODBII cars don't even have to take, no matter how dirty they are.

Ahh , sorry, that pushes my buttons as you can see.

DallasBill
01-29-2007, 11:48 AM
Thanks. The raw fule smell isn't from the exhaust - it's underhood and I know it's that pesky hose at the fule rail, or the o-rings at the injectors. Didn't mean to throw you off... ;-)

The totally weird thing is I have had the chip in since '99. I hear you about the sniffer test here -- totally unfair. But, if I have to pull the chip, I'll do it.

I'll clean the MAF and the O2 sensor is very old too, so that's worth changing. We'll see!

The other pi$$off is this -- 10% ethanol increases NOx up to 10% in CA studies (vs. MTBE)!