PDA

View Full Version : Is it my pcv???

miniman_7
01-26-2007, 01:05 PM
Hi

My 530 is giving me a bit of hassle.

It started the other day driving back from London. At low revs (<2,000 RPM) and especially at idle, I would get a whining/whistling noise coming from the top rear of the engine along with poor idling/loss of power.
Giving it a bit of gas makes it go away.

The day after, I went to drive to work. Acceleration seemed ok, but at idle it ran like crap. Then it would almost die, then surge, almost die, surge (all at idle). Once again, giving it a bit of gas made it go away.

Anyway, I have been trying to figure out the problem today. I started her up, and it seemed to run fine at idle. I gave it revs, held revs etc; but symptoms as above seemed to have gone away.
So I give her a litle drive up the road. The symptoms come back. Some times I get the surging. Sometimes I get the crappy idling, sometime accompanied with the whining noise. Giving revs makes it go

Switching off the engine, and restarting makes the symptoms go away too.

The symptoms are accompanied with an odourless white smoke.

I have noticed that when it is idling badly, I tried to undo the oil filler cap. The vacuum in the crankcase is so high, I struggle to take off the cap.

Typical that this should happen now, just as I plan on selling it!

Any help, advice and pointers will be much appreciated.

632 Regal
01-26-2007, 01:25 PM
typical V8 vacume leaks. Intake, front and rear intake seals and intake gaskets. You could try rebooting the computer but I doubt it will be fine until warm weather again.

Boone.Msi
01-26-2007, 08:47 PM
sounds exactly like mine...

i gave up since im out of cash

Ross
01-26-2007, 09:04 PM
This isn't vacuum leaks, which would not contribute to vacuum in the crankcase.
I think you are on the right track looking into the PCV system.